staggered late hopping vs single addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgraham602

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I've been working on a Session IPA recipe and am wonder whether there is a discernible difference between doing staggered late hop additions (i.e. equal parts at 15, 10, 5, and 0) versus doing a single large late addition (at say 10 or 0). If all things are equal (Bitterness Ratio and IBUs), is there a big difference in late additions?? My end goal is to achieve a nice smooth bitterness and hop flavor.

There is a significant difference between 15min and 0min. On hoppy beers I like to do 20, 10 and flameout. It gives flavour and aroma that I prefer over aggressive dry-hopping (I sometimes dry-hop as well though).

I'd agree that there is a difference between additions at 15 or 0 by themselves. But do you think that you'd be able to taste the difference between a beer that has small additions at 15, 10, 5, & 0 vs. a beer with larger additions at 15 and flameout? Especially if both beers had the same bitterness ratio and IBUs.

I'd agree that there is a difference between additions at 15 or 0 by themselves. But do you think that you'd be able to taste the difference between a beer that has small additions at 15, 10, 5, & 0 vs. a beer with larger additions at 15 and flameout? Especially if both beers had the same bitterness ratio and IBUs.

No, I don't think there would be much (any) noticeable difference.

So I've been working on a Session IPA recipe and am wonder whether there is a discernible difference between doing staggered late hop additions (i.e. equal parts at 15, 10, 5, and 0) versus doing a single large late addition (at say 10 or 0). If all things are equal (Bitterness Ratio and IBUs), is there a big difference in late additions?? My end goal is to achieve a nice smooth bitterness and hop flavor.

If you don't mind me chiming in. I've been doing research on hop oils, comes to find out University of Oregon State has a paper we can read online. There are 4 types of hop oils and all volatilize above certain temperatures. Myrcene, our citrus aromic/flavor buddy, volatilizes above 147F.

With the latest 2 brews (AG Pliny and Parti Gyle Session IPA), I'm using a slightly modified hop introduction technique. A FHW, @5min, then 2 whirlpool additions @180F and @140F while cooling in ice bath (40min total). Both post boil samples were hoppy, but PTE did not have that "in your face bitter" as I've detected before.

Because I like to experiment, like a lot, I would recommending having a base recipe you consistently make, then try different things to come to your own conclusions. Keeps things interesting!

Latest posts

Back