Stabilizing beer for shandy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ox45

Reaction score
I recently made 3 gallons of a strong wheat beer to use as a base for a shandy.

I plan on racking this to a keg, then topping off with 2 gallons of a homemade lemonade. I used WB-06 yeast, and was kind of hoping to keep it cloudy since I prefer a cloudy wheat.

My question is, if I rack this onto sorbate and k meta, will this prevent the yeast from starting back up? I know this will work in wine, but with wine you pretty much get rid of as much yeast as possible before stabilizing and sweetening. With this, there will still be a ton of yeast in suspension.

I have thought about using lactose instead of sugar to make the lemonade, but I have a few intolerant friends and would hate to exclude them from the yum.

Forgot to add that I will be force carbonating this, so no need for active yeast.

I have used Crystal Light with good results for a Shandy. It was 50/50 witbier and Crystal Light.

I have also brewed a Shandy with lemon juice and back sweetened with lactose. This brew was not as good as using the Crystal Light. I'm guessing that I needed to use more lactose. Lactose really does not seem to have the same sweetness as sugar.

I have also back sweetened meads and ciders with Splenda with good results.

If you don't want to go the route of using artificial sweeteners you can look into lemonade made with Stevia.

I only bottle so I have never tried to kill yeast as you are suggesting.

As you know, sorbate and campden only "work" when there is very little yeast still in suspension, so I suspect the only thing it would do is create some off flavors due to stressed yeast.

however, my experience is that if you keep the keg cold (40 degrees), it's too cold for most ale yeast strains (unsure about WB06, but suspect that is the case), and so if you keep it in the kegerator you shouldn't have any issues with fermentation restarting.

I do that with hard lemonade, and soda, and things with sugar that I don't want to ferment. It works great, with all strains of ale yeast I've used up to now, as well as wine yeast.

Latest posts

Back