SSR Heat Sink Methods

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

processhead

Reaction score
I see quite a few panel builds here using aluminum finned heat sinks for the SSRs.

How many folks are using the the metal surface of their panel enclosure or sub-panel as the heat sink for their SSR's?

I mounted two SSRs on the 8" x 10"x 1/8" steel sub-panel in my controller. No issues with heat for 5 years now.

One SSR controls my 1125 watt RIMS element and the other controls a 5500 element in my BK.

I would think there would be some other factors here that would effect this... The brand of the ssr and (some believe the rating) of the ssr will effect how well it will hold up to higher temp exposure... Its very likely that a fotek ssr for example is less tolerant of higher temps than say a teledyne one... It may help if people include this info with responses no?

Good point.
I believe the ones I used were Opto-22 brand, rated at 45 amps. Both were purchased used off of ebay.

Can you post a picture of how you mounted it? Also, did you use any thermal paste?

As to the original question I can't contribute. I'm sporting an aluminum heat sink w/ a plastic enclosure.

There are tonne of people using the small heat sinks mounted inside their control panel without issues. The reason everyone uses the huge panel-wide aluminum heatsinks is because they look badass and Kal did it, so we copy. Plus if you have a couple SSRs you can buy a single large one for about the same price as a couple small ones.

I wouldnt be surprised that mounting directly to the metal enclosure works great. In my 3x electric brew rigs (two large heat sinks, one small; all exterior mounted) none of the heat sinks even get warm to the touch. Try that with a computer processor or GPU and you'll have a nice burn resembling gills. It's overkill for sure. But at the hassle of changing heat sinks it's a price I pay for peace of mind. Whose to say it really helps with longevity though between being not warm and possibly mildly warm.

I am guessing my panel is the last one that comes to mind when you think bad-ass.

Ghetto yes, possibly? I think there is only one new component in the whole thing and that is probably a screw or a decal.

But it just keeps cranking out beer, batch after batch. I am happy with the reliability and can live without the bad-assity. Not to say the two are mutually exclusive.

Yes, I would always encourage using heat sink grease.

20151219_072011(0).jpg

20151219_072203.jpg

20151219_072217.jpg

I run 2 5500w elements at the same time with the SSRs mounted with the small heat sinks on the rail. Never an issue. I also have 2 12v fans mounted on the box moving air across.

20151219_095150_resized.jpg

I mounted my dual and single ssr to the $3 heat sinks inside my enclosure. I have a cpu fan blowing across them..just like the post above me...

My heatsinks do get warm even with the fan but not Hot... Without the fan I imagine they may get extremely warm or hot. it does depend on whether the ssr is actively doing a lot of switching or not when you feel the heatsink I believe. I use a mypin (same as fotek) 25a ssr along with a teledyne daul ssr which I believe is 40a... Three years now and no issues on the mypin ..2 years on the teledyne and no issues either. I have a fotek that worked fine but I swapped with the dual SSr when I added my rims pid and needed to save space.

Back