SS Coil in Fermenter with glycol in freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElChangoGuero

Reaction score
So ive been thinking if its really viable for fermentation purposes to have a 25' SS coil installed inside each plastic conical fermentor and everything leading to a freezer with a collar and a big container full of glycol, considering i would need to use 1 coil, 1 small pump and some tubing for each fermentor, but it would let me have independant control of each conical unlike a cooled room.

Opinions?

If you have a separate temp controller for each fermenter it could work. It may be easier to have one pump and solenoid valves for each fermenter depending on how many you have.

A chest freezer isn't going to have anywhere near the cooling power as an a/c unit converted to a chiller.

If you have a separate temp controller for each fermenter it could work. It may be easier to have one pump and solenoid valves for each fermenter depending on how many you have.

Yes, i was planning yo have a separate temp controller for each fementor and a pump too, was looking at some very cheap ~$37 on aliexpress

A chest freezer isn't going to have anywhere near the cooling power as an a/c unit converted to a chiller.

Mmm im trying to as cheap as can be, just got a magic chef 6.9 sq ft freezer from home depot for 158, was thinking its much cheaper than some ac units or should i be better off with an ac on the long run?

I can't find a BTU rating on the freezer. Typically A/C units are 5,000BTU/min, much higher than a chest freezer. A chest freezer also isn't going to cool below the lowest set point. In addition the freezer has to cool the air then use the air to cool the fluid, while the A/C unit would be in direct contact.

A A/C unit can be had for less than $100, then you need a cooler to hold the glycol mixture... after that controls will be the same.

If you want to do A/C and have any questions I can help you out.

I have a ? @jddevinn. I want to get some conicals but I don't want to buy a fridge or freezer with each one. Any way to heat as well as cool with a a/c glycol chiller? My garage is 90 in summer and 40 in winter.

I have reptile heating pads installed under the insulation on the fermenters. A BCS controls the heating and the cooling, however it could be done more cheaply with readily available temp controllers.

The heating pads should be sufficient for 40°F with good insulation... if they aren't they are cheap and you can just add another layer.

I can't find a BTU rating on the freezer. Typically A/C units are 5,000BTU/min, much higher than a chest freezer. A chest freezer also isn't going to cool below the lowest set point. In addition the freezer has to cool the air then use the air to cool the fluid, while the A/C unit would be in direct contact.

A A/C unit can be had for less than $100, then you need a cooler to hold the glycol mixture... after that controls will be the same.

If you want to do A/C and have any questions I can help you out.

I was actually originally intetested in doing that, saw some videos but not alot to see in YouTube, if its better i would rather do the a/c unit, sounds pretty logical that direct contact with the glycol is better, saw some videos 2 containers put inside each other and isolate the small one with foam

What are you thinking for controls? I'm using a BCS, some chinese ~$20 actuated ball valves and one pump. Do you want to do separate pumps for each fermenter and simple indipendent type controls to make the controls easier? I've never gotten around to a write up of (any) of my equipment but will help as much as I can. Do you have a general idea of what you are doing or do you need a detailed description of what you need to do to get this working?

I was thinking set temp for cooling at like 64 and raise from there for Belgians. I want to brew 75% Trippel quadruple and stout and the other percentage ipa and pale ale. I would also like to brew two beers at once. Kinda hard to settle on an option, too many out there.

I'm using a 3.5 cu ft chest freezer, 2 little Giant condensate pumps, VCL24, and 1 STC1000 controllers. The freezer has 12 gallons of glycol. I made a plywood panel to mount the pumps. You will need to bypass the float switch on the pumps. I use this to cool 2 Brewhemoth conicals and I can crash them down to 35 degrees no problems.

A dehumidifier works too, you can find them cheap on CL. They have plenty of BTUs for what you are doing

What are you thinking for controls? I'm using a BCS, some chinese ~$20 actuated ball valves and one pump. Do you want to do separate pumps for each fermenter and simple indipendent type controls to make the controls easier? I've never gotten around to a write up of (any) of my equipment but will help as much as I can. Do you have a general idea of what you are doing or do you need a detailed description of what you need to do to get this working?

Ok well so far i think im going with
-Inkbird Itc-308 Digital Temperature Controller Outlet Thermostat, 2-stage, 1100w, w/ Sensor
-homebrew pump DC12V&20W BSP1/2" Food grade pump hot water circulation brewing water pump no noise with 1/2 inch barb fitting
-10" Coil with 2 bends 25' x 1/2" x .035 OD Tubing 304/304L

Trying to keep it as simple and easy as possible, i still need some tubing but thats extra, herms coil on each fermentor, thinking about getting a weldless thermometer installed on the side of each fermentor but need to figure out which one would work with the Inkbird. And get some insulation on the fermentors.

I'm using a 3.5 cu ft chest freezer, 2 little Giant condensate pumps, VCL24, and 1 STC1000 controllers. The freezer has 12 gallons of glycol. I made a plywood panel to mount the pumps. You will need to bypass the float switch on the pumps. I use this to cool 2 Brewhemoth conicals and I can crash them down to 35 degrees no problems.

Damn! that actually sounds awesome, definitely want to be able to cold crash my beer. :mug:

If you go with the A/C or dehumidifier rout you will be able to crash as well. Basic overview is:

Materials
  1. Window A/C, preferably with mechanical controls. I bought this one from Amazon... however the price has doubled since I bought it.
  2. Going the route that you want you will need a controller for each fermenter as well as one for the glycol bath
  3. you will need a pump for each fermenter, as well as one for the glycol bath. Is the one that you linked submersible? The cooling rate will be directly related to the pump speed so it may be worth going with a larger pump. I have a (1) pond pump and valves.

You will need to rewire the A/C so that whenever it has power it cools and ignores the thermostat. You will then gently pull the evaporator coil out and place it in the cooler, taking care not to break any of the lines.

Controler for the glycol bath controls the stirring pump and the A/C. Controller for the fermenters just controls their pumps.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you go with the A/C or dehumidifier rout you will be able to crash as well. Basic overview is:

Materials
  1. Window A/C, preferably with mechanical controls. I bought this one from Amazon... however the price has doubled since I bought it.
  2. Going the route that you want you will need a controller for each fermenter as well as one for the glycol bath
  3. you will need a pump for each fermenter, as well as one for the glycol bath. Is the one that you linked submersible? The cooling rate will be directly related to the pump speed so it may be worth going with a larger pump. I have a (1) pond pump and valves.

You will need to rewire the A/C so that whenever it has power it cools and ignores the thermostat. You will then gently pull the evaporator coil out and place it in the cooler, taking care not to break any of the lines.

Controler for the glycol bath controls the stirring pump and the A/C. Controller for the fermenters just controls their pumps.

Ok so far i know i will need for each fermentor:
-pump
-coil
-temp controller

and for the ac unit i will also need a temp controler and it seems you are talking about an additional pump to stir the glycol tank?

i dont believe they are submersible pumps, they need to be primed first, was thnking of having the tank on a higher level and the return lines from the coil go straight to the glycol tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I suppose that will work. You may have to make a trap loop to keep the pumps from losing prime. If you can figure out the flow rate on them that would be good, you don't want slow glycol flow or you will have slow cooling.

If you don't have a stirring pump the glycol right next to the evaporator will chill a lot faster then the rest and you'll get temperature stratification in the reserve.

OK, I suppose that will work. You may have to make a trap loop to keep the pumps from losing prime. If you can figure out the flow rate on them that would be good, you don't want slow glycol flow or you will have slow cooling.

If you don't have a stirring pump the glycol right next to the evaporator will chill a lot faster then the rest and you'll get temperature stratification in the reserve.

Right, i see what your saying, think i can also install a thermowell for each fermentor to get very accurate readings. Would just need to tweak around the ferm times and cycles.

As for your stir pump, a small submersible pond pump will work, it will add some heat, but the unit can handle it. They will run 24/7 for 3-4 years. The dc40-2470 is what I use. Ebay < 20

As for your stir pump, a small submersible pond pump will work, it will add some heat, but the unit can handle it. They will run 24/7 for 3-4 years. The dc40-2470 is what I use. Ebay < 20

Now your talking bro, thats that best bang for your buck mentality ;) good advice

Back