SS Brewtech trub dam experiences

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ong

Reaction score
I got a 15 gallon SS Brewtech kettle recently, and it came with the “trub dam” on the pickup tube. The three times I’ve brewed with it in place, it’s become completely clogged almost immediately, even in batches with minimal hops (and where I kept all the the hops in bags). I BIAB, and there is quite a bit of cold break, but this tube gets clogged the second I open the valve... maybe a few drops will come out and that’s it. Is it just a bad design? Anyone have better luck with it?

(Oops, sorry, put this in the wrong forum!)

Same setup here. Never had a clog, but I whirlpool and use pellets. The first couple quarts are hop-cloudy, but after a minute of runoff into my fermenter, it's running crystal clear. I do a simple stir to whirlpool, and let sit for 10min before running off, so that may help. Never any clogs, though. I've wondered if the trub dam actually works better than if i were to not use it in the first place.

While I am not happy with its size (twice as big would have been more effective) I never had the pickup-up tube clog, not even once. I'm guessing you have way too much trub in your kettle (it's not cold break by the way).

Latest posts

Back