SS Brewtech fermenter owners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostHopper

Reaction score
What is the volume of the "conical" portion of the bottom of this fermenter?

Do you ever have problems keeping dip tube above the trub when transferring?

Thanks

I'm not sure of the volume. But the markings start at 4gal and that is just below the chill tubing.

I bought hardened TC gaskets and that allows me to rotate the racking valve. So I keep it down when fermenting/aging and then rotate it up when ready to rack. I've never had an issue with residue. Even when I had 8oz of whole hops in there.

How much beer roughly will be left over after I rack out from my Chronical to another vessel (keg, secondary, barrel, whatever...)

7 gal = 1.3 qts

14 gal = 0.8 qts

1/2 bbl = 0.9 qts

See: https://ssbrewtech.zendesk.com/hc/e...ter-racking-from-a-7-gal-a-14-gal-a-Half-bbl-

I assume that is based on having the racking arm pointed down.

In my experience, as long as you dump trub/yeast/dry hops periodically during fermentation, I have never had a problem keeping the racking arm above the trub. However, I start with the racking arm up and the slowly rotate it as I'm transferring. As soon as I see signs of trub/yeast in the transfer hose, I stop rotating the arm and move it up a little until I get clear beer again. Most of the time, I can rotate the arm to the down position without any trub/yeast/dry hops being transferred.

No good at math and I can not count past 20 unless I use both hands, take my shoes off and unzip my,... anyhow,..... I don't get it.

I have a 7gal and a 14gal Ss Conical - which I love!! But, assuming I understand that 1.3qts is more than .8qts (25oz), it is visually obvious (to me) that the space below the tube in my 14gal fermenter is exponentially more than the space below the tube in my 7gal fermenter.

1.3qts left in my 7gal fermenter seems about right, but .8qts left in my 14gal fermenter seems way off (low). Is this with consideration to the yeast cake and trub, which seems impossible to pre-calculate.

My All Grain kit arrived today, will look tomorrow when I finish building it. But I am pretty sure you already have you answer. Just new ‘menter goodin’. Lol

IMG_2670.jpg

Anybody measure this on their 14gal? I have a BruGear, which is very similar in construction, and it leaves 3qrts under the pickup tube. I always assumed SSbt left less as the port seems a little lower by comparison.

Back