SRM Correction for Witbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgalbus

Reaction score
So I purchased 'Brewing Classic Styles: 80 Winning Recipes Anyone Can Brew' and trying to make the Wittebrew recipe.

I have placed the recipe into a couple different programs (Brewfather and Brewers Friend) so that I could scale down the recipe from 7 gallons pre-boil volume. Brewhouse Efficiency of 75% And a batch volume of 5.5 gallons

The book suggests the following recipe:
Extract​
6.75 lb - Wheat LME (4 degree L)​
0.25 lb - Munich LME (9 degree L)​
Partial Mash Grains​
1.13 lb - Flaked Oats (1 degree L)​
1.00 lb - Pilsener Malt (1.6 degree L)​
When I place this information into the program, I get a 4.2 SRM versus a target of 2 to 4 SRM. Should this be of concern for a Witbier.

Thank you for the advice for a brand new brewer.
Michael

the only impact that will have is in your apps maybe not showing a check mark beside style guidelines. And they are guidelines only, not rules that must be adhered to or risk disaster. Enjoy your brew and new hobby!

Thank you for the feedback.

John Palmer is the one that created the recipe. Just wondering why it would be off...

I get that I can ditch the Munich but based upon the recipe that is what is called for.

I just wanted to make sure that I wasn’t putting in the information in the program the wrong

I just wanted to make sure that I wasn’t putting in the information in the program the wrong

You probably entered it correctly. The software that I use suggests it could actually turn out even darker, 5 SRM.

I think maybe there is too much Wheat extract as well. 6.75 lb will give a very strong beer of OG 1.063, ABV more than 6%. If you reduced the Wheat to just 5 lb, this too would result in much lighter color closer to 4 SRM, and more within style guidelines.

None of this is your fault. I just think the recipe is a little off from the target style.

Back