Square Keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewdog80

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone own or use one? Popped up on FB. One gallon, looks to be more for easy pour of mixed drinks, but looks interesting. About the price of a new 5gallon keg or so...

happy thanksgiving

if you do a search on this website i find that literally almost every question has been answered . sometimes its just hard to search the right term. google search works better for searching these boards sometimes. if you search square keg homebrewtalk on google it works better than the search bar here.

the square keg you mention was disccussed in this thread i think:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/1-gallon-square-keg.700814/
1700768542791.png

i do a lot of mini kegging.
i have two 2 liter , two 5 liter, a 1.6 gallon and 2.6 gallon ss kegs

and i have five 2.5 liter and four 3.5 liter PET growlers.

theres only 2 benefits to this keg one is that it fits nicely in the kitchen fridge and the other is that it wont roll. althoug all kegs can lay on there side as long as they have a flexbile silicon diptube, they tend to roll around and are unstable on the side and that cause the sediment to stir. but it is too small and all the edges and corners will be harder to clean then round kegs. and its way more money then most other mini kegs.

with mini kegs your best bet is a soda stream conversion kit and a growler spear:
1700770412016.png

1700770128560.png

this is much better than the square keg because that cap is not as versatile.

you always want ball lock connections they are going to be the best equipment for serving transfering carbing etc.

the problem with mini kegs like the square and oter small ss growler kegs is the narrow opening doesnt allow for proper cleaning.

thats why mini cornys or amcyls are the best solution for mini kegging.
1700770765763.png

mini kegging is great for single drinkers, small batch brewers or multiple tap kegging. i have 6 beers on tap right now without a giant keezer.

this is a very low entry to kegging . better yet PET kegging is even easier and cheaper .

1700770838914.png

1700770884572.png

1700770915472.png

this last one is from brazil and may be available in the states at some point.

if you want that square keg for the ktichen fridge i would sooner do a pop bottle with tee piece 2 carb caps picnic tap 2.1 and soda stream converter for about 80 dollars, then you can just use 2 liter bottles for unlimited kegs.

happy holidays

Attachments

• 1700768262850.png
    1700768262850.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 0
Lots of great options you posted here but that square keg is really cool!

Not anything I would buy but only because I brew ten gallon batches so they split easy in two five gallon corny kegs. I do have a few mini kegs, 2.5 gallon that I can take somewhere.

Thanks for sharing the different options so others can see what's out there.

happy thanksgiving

if you do a search on this website i find that literally almost every question has been answered . sometimes its just hard to search the right term. google search works better for searching these boards sometimes. if you search square keg homebrewtalk on google it works better than the search bar here.

the square keg you mention was disccussed in this thread i think:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/1-gallon-square-keg.700814/View attachment 834617

i do a lot of mini kegging.
i have two 2 liter , two 5 liter, a 1.6 gallon and 2.6 gallon ss kegs

and i have five 2.5 liter and four 3.5 liter PET growlers.

theres only 2 benefits to this keg one is that it fits nicely in the kitchen fridge and the other is that it wont roll. althoug all kegs can lay on there side as long as they have a flexbile silicon diptube, they tend to roll around and are unstable on the side and that cause the sediment to stir. but it is too small and all the edges and corners will be harder to clean then round kegs. and its way more money then most other mini kegs.

with mini kegs your best bet is a soda stream conversion kit and a growler spear:
View attachment 834623

View attachment 834621

this is much better than the square keg because that cap is not as versatile.

you always want ball lock connections they are going to be the best equipment for serving transfering carbing etc.

the problem with mini kegs like the square and oter small ss growler kegs is the narrow opening doesnt allow for proper cleaning.

thats why mini cornys or amcyls are the best solution for mini kegging.
View attachment 834627

mini kegging is great for single drinkers, small batch brewers or multiple tap kegging. i have 6 beers on tap right now without a giant keezer.

this is a very low entry to kegging . better yet PET kegging is even easier and cheaper .

View attachment 834628

View attachment 834629

View attachment 834630
this last one is from brazil and may be available in the states at some point.

if you want that square keg for the ktichen fridge i would sooner do a pop bottle with tee piece 2 carb caps picnic tap 2.1 and soda stream converter for about 80 dollars, then you can just use 2 liter bottles for unlimited kegs.

happy holidays
Nice list of options, and no I didn't do a direct search for square keg, but only ONE post well over a year ago. I did look here under equipment and nothing recent. And in looking through the advert, I thought this was a new product. Your initial paragraph is rather snarky, if I was a new person here, I'd be put off, I'm just annoyed. Btw, you don't own one of these, why the bash at the end?
I keg all my beers and I'm not going buy cheap pet and a bunch of other contraptions. Soda stream ain't the way to go in my opinion. Too expensive and no easy way to control carbonation. I'll most probably not drop money on the square keg, as it is relatively expensive way to keep only a gallon. Another point you dinged was hard to clean, opening is larger than any pop bottle.... just sayin. Tha KS for the non review.

Lots of great options you posted here but that square keg is really cool!

Not anything I would buy but only because I brew ten gallon batches so they split easy in two five gallon corny kegs. I do have a few mini kegs, 2.5 gallon that I can take somewhere.

Thanks for sharing the different options so others can see what's out there.
Think about how you are going to clean it and if you can visually inspect that it is indeed clean.

Anyone own or use one? Popped up on FB. One gallon, looks to be more for easy pour of mixed drinks, but looks interesting. About the price of a new 5gallon keg or so...
I have a Ukeg growler and a couple 1.7 cornies I can clean them and see that they are clean. A hot soak in PBW doesn’t always remove biofilm. That needs to be sponged or brushed off. The square will fit conveniently in the fridge, but getting really clean will be the challenge, as I see it.

Nice list of options, and no I didn't do a direct search for square keg, but only ONE post well over a year ago. I did look here under equipment and nothing recent. And in looking through the advert, I thought this was a new product. Your initial paragraph is rather snarky, if I was a new person here, I'd be put off, I'm just annoyed. Btw, you don't own one of these, why the bash at the end?
I keg all my beers and I'm not going buy cheap pet and a bunch of other contraptions. Soda stream ain't the way to go in my opinion. Too expensive and no easy way to control carbonation. I'll most probably not drop money on the square keg, as it is relatively expensive way to keep only a gallon. Another point you dinged was hard to clean, opening is larger than any pop bottle.... just sayin. Tha KS for the non review.
hey brewodg sorry. definately didnt mean to come off that way. i was just trying to help. and share my experience with mini kegs in general. small openings are the main issue with a lot of these non corny style lid kegs. like others have said getting the inside truly clean could be an issue. this may be more so with the corners was my point.

growler tabs which i think is prolly pbw is the only solution any company ever suggests.

but theres that damn biofilm . my point about the pop bottles was they are very easy to travel with and are basically disposable if they get dirty. and the price difference makes them basically free.
but point taken i wont suggest that first bit of advice anyomre. someone suggested it to me on these boards and i found it very helpful imo.

cheers

The nice thing about cylinders is they don't have corners for sediment to get trapped in. The corners in this guy would have to be aggressively radiused for it to be even remotely interesting to me for that reason.
Ever looked at the bottom of a 2 liter container? Almost none are smooth. And crap does sticks to every surface. Nah, not big enough. Saw some 1.5 liter kegs, but neither are they, and take up too much height in feidge.

hey brewodg sorry. definately didnt mean to come off that way. i was just trying to help. and share my experience with mini kegs in general. small openings are the main issue with a lot of these non corny style lid kegs. like others have said getting the inside truly clean could be an issue. this may be more so with the corners was my point.

growler tabs which i think is prolly pbw is the only solution any company ever suggests.

but theres that damn biofilm . my point about the pop bottles was they are very easy to travel with and are basically disposable if they get dirty. and the price difference makes them basically free.
but point taken i wont suggest that first bit of advice anyomre. someone suggested it to me on these boards and i found it very helpful imo.

cheers
Np, just me being a turd. But I'll just stick to regular kegs. I've a half dozen and usually kept 2 serving and one getting ready.

Back