Spunding Valve... not very convenient setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m3B.eer

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

If I tighten everything pretty well, this is how my spunding valve looks like... I've tried playing around, but can't seem to get it to "look" right.

Is there a way to make it look "straight" or not? I can't find a way to make my gauge face up!

Haha.
20220210_112812.jpg

Hi everyone,

If I tighten everything pretty well, this is how my spunding valve looks like... I've tried playing around, but can't seem to get it to "look" right.

Is there a way to make it look "straight" or not? I can't find a way to make my gauge face up!

Haha.View attachment 759009
I have basically half a turn I'd like to change... How much more tape? Can it really have an effect? I'm not sure how it can affect the thread

Never was a fan of those kinds of spunding setups. Ended up going with the Blowtie before switching to conical fermenters and a TC connected spunding valve.

You should be able to use wrenches to get things facing as you want.
Dealing with pressure, I'm sure we can't be "loose". This is how tight as I can get it, but doesn't look right.

What's TC?

I have basically half a turn I'd like to change... How much more tape? Can it really have an effect? I'm not sure how it can affect the thread
A couple more wraps maybe? Don't over think (or over torque!) this. Count number of wraps. More wraps means the joint gets tight sooner. May take several tries.

I suspect @Golddiggie is indicating that loc-tite will seal even a quarter (half?) turn shy of where you want to go? I haven't used it.

doesn't the female flare nut freely move when not attached....just turn it until the moment is 'just right'?

edit: never mind on second glance, not a flare nut.....maybe use a flare nut washer?

I picked up the stick Teflon tape item I linked to for use instead of wrapping tape on fittings. I also got some blue and copper anti-seize for other uses. With the stick, you apply it and then go to snug/tight as needed.

Pretty sure this is what places that put gas manifolds together (and/or regulators) are also using for the majority. IMO, it makes more sense since you don't have to worry about winding the tape in the correct direction when applying.

My SPUNDit hangs loose - swivels at the bend, yet holds pressure. At least it's not permanently bent at an awkward angle 😐 But not always oriented for easiest viewing.

that's all right, my fermenter starts leaking before the my spundit even hits it's set pressure.... 😐

Hey, whatever you want to use on that thing, I won't judge... Much... ;)

Sounds like something used in the 1300's. 🤣

i was about to post 'jizz in my pants', but remembered this is about having a straight spunding valve.....

i saw some 90 degree, elbow 1/4" stuff on the site i linked also, maybe that would help? if the the swiveling one wouldn't do it......

but i think the swivel nut would alow it to be basically turned to what ever angle you want? i think it even would let you level it, if so desired.....

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Haha.View attachment 759009
Don’t worry too much. As long as you can read the dial, your good.

I like rearranging it so that the gas tap is in the middle of the T and the gauge is at the opposite side of the pressure adjuster. I may change mine around like that now.

Back