Spot the Space Station

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I met Neil deGrasse Tyson at a conference once. He's the Director of the Hayden Planetarium. Very cool guy. I was listening to his podcast today (Star Talk) and this song was playing during one of the transitions. I like.

Last edited by a moderator:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmV90BmMNMg[/ame]

This girl is pretty cool.

At 8:00, while showing the kitchen, she pulls out a barbecued beef brisket. I'm smoking a brisket this weekend.

I have a flyby at 6:29 tomorrow. Thought I'm normally sleeping then, I'll probably catch this one (getting up for an appointment).

I'd love to go up there someday. I love space stuff! This reminds me of the opening to Star Trek. Space...the final frontier...to boldly go, where no man has gone...BEFORE! Makes me wish I could still get VR 1000 for my Canon FTb. It has a 50mm lens on it that'd probably work well. I also have a Chinon super 8 camera that has such a finely ground lens that I got the droplets of moisture in the morning mist when I was shooting the Earthworks in Newark in the 80's. That might be interesting to try?...Here's a pic I found on the net while looking for pics to use on the cover of book two of my Time Lords 2034 series. It also shows the green flash the photographer calls zodiac light...

You can also see the Pleiades in the upper left.

For iphone users, there's an app called Sputnik! That sends you alerts for ISS sightings and also iridium flare sightings. I used it all the time before I went to droid and have made 100s of sightings

Spent the evening at the local university observatory tonight. Its open to the public on Tuesday nights weather permitting. This was the first week it was open due to cloud cover the last 2 weeks. Its a 20", it was pretty cool checking out the rings of Saturn, and a couple double stars.

The band I play in were practicing a few weeks ago when it flew over. The drummer keeps up it so we took a break & went outside to watch it fly over, pretty cool in my book. I signed up for the alerts.

Had a flyby this AM but I missed it. I got up but I was tired and just fed the dog (who is an early riser) and went back to some odd dreams.

In other news, I found this NPR story interesting, mostly about the first man in space, Yuri Gagarin, and his unsuccessful attempt to save a friend from certain death in the prepubescent Russian space program.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2011/05/02/134597833/cosmonaut-crashed-into-earth-crying-in-rage

corpse_custom-1a2c8e99bc85469ad8a5a976f4bfbc91d056a09a-s40-c85.jpg

Its not my best ISS pic, but it was fun to rush out with the camera to see if I could get a shot. The really bright light in the bottom corner is the full moon, which didn't help the situation.

Oh well we have another good opportunity in a couple days weather permitting, hopefully I will remember a bit earlier.

Hey, just wanted to thank you guys... I took my son (7) out for the first time last night to watch it, and he thought it was very cool... Awesome stuff!

My kids (4 yo twins) love coming out to see the space station with me. They can tell it apart from a plane because of how bright it is and how "daddy, the light doesn't flash."

One night, I didn't even know it was flying over and the 4 yo boy pointed it to me. "Daddy, there's the space station, it's not flashing." I was like "yeah, okay buddy, that's neat" then turned around and there it was! :rockin:

Great pic. I can see Alcor easily in your second pic, but not in the first. Is the big dipper there?

Nope, dipper is only in the bottom pic. I just saw it down there during ISS flyby, and decided why not try and get a pic. I was pretty impressed, dipper pic was first shot, no editing.

ISS pic is 2 30sec shots merged to one, but no other correction.

Latest posts

Back