spoiled first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

classy

Reaction score
Hi, I am classy. And I recently started home brewing...my first batch has developed small fungi type organisms (pic attached)...they float on the surface and also in the middle of the fermenter...is the beer spoiled for consumption? This happened day before yest. After 8 days of perfect bubbling and fermentation... It still smells like beer only and there is no foul smell except very slight sweet smell along with beer smell...my OG was 1.04 when I started... Thanks in advance for your suggestions...

IMG_20141228_063043758.jpg

Hi, no that's plastic...I am from a country where home brewing is a taboo and no equipments are available...so I made a airtight plastic covering and attached it to home made air lock made from a small plastic bottle... ;)

Hey tks..Is there a way I can be sure?? Coz this thing is der on top, though not throughout as well ad floating in the middle..

Yuppieee!!! Dats so relieving... I will post a pic from above once I open it for priming in an hour for second opinion...

Hi, PFB the latest pic...when I opened the fermenter the smell was awefull...like rotten fruits(may be coz I used special hops for fruity aroma or coz its spoiled...being new can't really say)...is it just yeast rafts and still consumable?? Or I should drain it... :(

IMG_20141228_101112524.jpg

I would take a sample(tasting and hydrometer) before doing anything. Yeast do funny things sometimes so you can't just go by how it looks...or even how it smells sometimes.

@phunhog ...I started with OG of 1.04 and now hydrometer reads close to 1.00...nd m hell scared to taste it with that appearence...
@dmashl yep, I did but thats where I suspect the problem lies...
Ne solution now?

Hi, no that's plastic...I am from a country where home brewing is a taboo and no equipments are available...so I made a airtight plastic covering and attached it to home made air lock made from a small plastic bottle... ;)
I gotta ask.What country is homebrewing taboo???

Its a state called Gujarat in India...not only is it a taboo but to ur surprise alcohol is totally banned here!!! There are no bars and buying liquor is a criminal offense charged with imprisonment!!! Ya its too hard to believe but u can Google it...nd the reason govt gives for all this is even funnier..."Gandhi (M.K. Gandhi - father of the nation) was born here..." Rofl

Classy - my grandchildren call me Bapu - sometimes I feel like the father of the nation :)

I think your beer looks fine, but taste, smell and a hydrometer reading will tell you much more.

Don't be afraid to taste it...it wont make you sick. From what I've seen in the few pictures you posted you're probably OK

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back