Splitting Batches - Secondary Fermentor Size?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imp81318

Reaction score
I am in the early stages of planning for a 5-gallon batch of ale that I will split and rack onto two different kinds of fruit in secondary fermentation to make a summer beer. My understanding is that typically, for a 5-gallon batch I would use a 5-gallon carboy for secondary (I have not yet done a secondary fermentation). What size secondary should I use for 1/2 of a 5-gallon batch? Right now I have two 2-gallon buckets and while I know the cost is relatively low I'd prefer not to have to buy 2 new small fermenters since I don't know how often I will really use them...

So all of that said, will a 3 gallon carboy be OK for 1/2 of a 5-gallon batch? If so, what size batch could I use a 3 gallon carboy as primary fermenter for?

Is there any danger or drawback to splitting into multiple smaller fermenters for secondary? I.e. would there be anything (other than increased risk of infection due to more pieces to be sanitized) wrong with using the two 2-gallon buckets and two 1/2 gallon growlers for secondary fermentation?

I make 6 gal AG batches and routinely split them for fermentation & secondary.
For primary I use 5 or 6 gal BB's. For secondary I use 3 gal BB's.
Its important to minimize headspace in secondary to prevent oxidation.
After secondary I transfer to 3 gal kegs purged w/ CO2
For conditioning & cold crashing.

Buckets are more permeable so there is a chance of oxidation.

I bought a few jugs of wine in gallon and 3 liter increments and use those for secondary. Some fancy apple juice/cider comes in glass jugs so you could use that too.

One thing to keep in mind, which I learned the hard way on a cherry wheat, is be sure to calculate the space the fruit will take up. I did not and had to do an emergency bottling of a gallon of beer before I was ready.

It depends on how much fruit you are racking onto. Some fruits require quite a bit to add flavor and that can significantly increase volume. Ideally you will want as little head space a possible, but it should be easy to add the fruit to avoid frustration. Considering most fruit added to a young beer will restart fermentation to some extent, CO2 will be created and reduce the potential for oxygenation. So you should be fine with a bucket for a short-term secondary. Just don't leave it in there more than a couple weeks.

So I've had multiple people tell me to minimize head space which sounds like you're leading me toward carboys. So would a 3 gallon carboy be OK for 1/2 of a 5 gallon batch with fruit added? Right now I'm thinking g that I'll do 1/2 with blueberry and 1/2 with either lemon peel or strawberries.

Latest posts

Back