Splitting a batch during the boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geobeery

Reaction score
Hi. I'm wondering about the wisdom of splitting off a gallon from a 5 gallon batch (about say 45 mins into a 60 min boil) so I can finish it off with different set of late-boil hops. Is this likely to cause any problems, given that the gallon taken off (I'd just scoop it out with a large pot) would have to wait 40 mins or so till the main batch had been cooled and racked to the fermenter before bringing back to boil for 15 mins (limited hob space etc).

The question is - is this likely to give bad results for the small batch (e.g. due to accumulation of DMS / other chemicals) or is a 15 mins reboil enough to dissipate these? Interested in views from anyone who might have tried this before, or with opinion on viability.

Not enough hob space for 2 boils as the big one takes 4 gas rings, otherwise I would :) I reckon this way should save an hour by cutting out the time to reach boil and then the first 45 mins..

If you're worried about fifteen minutes not being long enough, just pull the gallon off after the mash and do a full boil on it.

I wouldn't worry about a 45 minute boil on most grain bills for removal of DMS compounds unless your bill is 100% pilsner. Even still, many brewers have good luck with no boil Berliner weisses which can have a high percentage of Pilsner in the bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back