Spike Brewing - Sight Glass Performance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcbeersnob

Reaction score
Can anyone report on the performance the sight glass on Spike kettles? Specifically, does the wort inside the sight glass move around a lot during the boil?

I have a Blichmann kettle. The sight glass useless during the boil.

Can anyone report on the performance the sight glass on Spike kettles? Specifically, does the wort inside the sight glass move around a lot during the boil?

I have a Blichmann kettle. The sight glass useless during the boil.

Uh, you're using it wrong. Did you forget to use the shield that was included with your ketttle? I am guessing the handle on your ball valve is also melted off?

I'm using it wrong? LOL. The sight glass on the 10 gallon kettle is too close to the heat source.

Yes, I've used the flimsy shield and no the handle on my ball valve has not melted off. I've been able to prevent movement on ~3 of 78 batches. It's too finicky. For as much as you pay for one of their kettles, they should provide an appropriate solution.

Now back to my original question...

I'm using it wrong? LOL. The sight glass on the 10 gallon kettle is too close to the heat source.

Yes, I've used the flimsy shield and no the handle on my ball valve has not melted off. I've been able to prevent movement on ~3 of 78 batches. It's too finicky. For as much as you pay for one of their kettles, they should provide an appropriate solution.

Now back to my original question...

You're using it wrong. I have over 60 brews done on mine and only had movement on one (which also melted my valve handle, dont brew when drunk haha) So for you to say they should provide an appropriate solution when an appropriate solution is provided is a little silly.

The spike kettle also requires a heat shield be properly installed. Without that you are going to get boiling in the sight glass.

No reason to be a ******. I said nothing silly.

The shield that comes on the sight glass on the Spike kettle is configured differently (actually attaches as opposed to a loose sheet of metal that comes with the Blichamann) and is not advertized specifically to be a heat shield. Hence my question.

Still hoping for feedback on the product I'm asking about.

Do you use a Blich burner? With my Blich burners / kettles, I have no issue with what you are referring to. I do agree, the SS plate is an inelegant solution for such an expensive system.

The Spike kettle has a little clip on diverter, doesn't seem much of an improvement.

I know I have seen heat shields welded onto the burner, but I don't have that skill.

I get a little movement in my 10 gallon spike kettle. To get an accurate reading I turn down the propane to a simmer. I don't mind it, it seems pretty accurate.

I have a set of spike kettles being made for me right now so Ill be able to tell you soon enough!

As far as the Bilchmann is concerned I saw 3 of them at big brew day pretty much recirculating wort through the sight glass. Two were using sq14's and 1 a blichmann. Only 1 had a heat shield and it was black with soot... I think alot of people just boil to vigorously in general.

Why are you concerned with a sight glass while boiling anyhow? You'll only get an accurate reading when the wort is chilled. I use Blichman kettles along with the top tier. I sometimes get boiling wort in my sight glass even when I use their CHEESY heat shields. If you want to stop he boil in the glass, add some tin foil over the shield.

I don't see any reason to need a sight glass during the boil. I think they are more useful in the HLT and on the boil kettle for post boil volume measurement.

Why are you concerned with a sight glass while boiling anyhow? You'll only get an accurate reading when the wort is chilled. I use Blichman kettles along with the top tier. I sometimes get boiling wort in my sight glass even when I use their CHEESY heat shields. If you want to stop he boil in the glass, add some tin foil over the shield.

I don't see any reason to need a sight glass during the boil. I think they are more useful in the HLT and on the boil kettle for post boil volume measurement.
Ability to know the approximate volume of the wort during the boil can be informative. It can tell you if you need to adjust your heat source or your boil time, so you don't end up with too much or too little wort at the end of the boil, which of course would also mean missing target gravity.

People are making way too much of an off-hand remark that was made regarding the Blichmann kettle in the original post. There are other features that drew my attention to the Spike kettle, which I did not mention. The sight glass bit was more curiosity than anything else.

Thanks to those who have actually used a Spike kettle and provided feedback on my specific question.

The Spike glass is farther from the kettle. It gets a few bubbles through it, but nothing like the rage in the blich kettles.

So yes, it works better in a boil.

I just got a 15gal Spike with sight glass for a HLT. Brewing tomorrow so dont know how it reacts under heat yet, but a test for accuracy (pouring 3 measured gallons) showed the glass 1qt low compared to the etching on the inside the kettle. Great kettle but this already has me concerned. All my other vessels are Ss and the sight glass and sanitary weld fittings are the only reason I got the Spike. I agree the heat shield is a bit flimsy.

Last edited:
I have 15gal Spike kettles with sight glasses. I've had the same experience as DiggidyD. Just a few bubbles here and there. I think what makes them work better than the Blichmann sight glasses is they are mounted about one inch off the wall of the kettle. One annoyance with the Spike sight glass is you have to make sure you push the outer shield with the markings on it as far as it will go down on the bottom coupler for it to indicate the same volume as the levels marked inside the kettle. You would think that you'd want to center the shield between the top and bottom couplings, but that will give you readings that are off by around .5-.75gal.

As for the off topic responses, I like the BK sight glass to see the amount of wort I've collected while fly sparging without removing the lid.

Back