Spigot on fermenter to check FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twistyboy

Reaction score
i was thinking about putting a spigot 2 inches of the bottom of the primary fermenter to check the FG. I reed that openening the fermenter frequently is not a got thing and when you have to check it so the gravity remain stable you have to open it frequently. any opininion? thank

First there is no reason to check it "frequently". Just let your beer sit in primary 3 weeks (my preference) then check it. Wait 3 days and check again. If they are the same (temp corrected) its good to bottle/keg.
Big beers can take longer and also take longer to carb.
Dont worry about taking the lid off. Just sanitized the thief or baster you use to get your sample. After you take your reading drink the sample. :)

This might work. It is also possible the inside of the spigot will fill with trub before the cake is compacted. The flow created by opening the spigot may also create a current that will draw in more suspended sediments just above the compacting cake.

The sediments will alter the specific gravity reading unless the sample is set aside until settling occurs.

A beer/wine thief creates less of a suction as the sample fills the tube.

Best option may be to take fewer specific gravity readings. Wait two weeks for the first one. Wait two more days for the second one.

I have spigots on all my fermenters (Except the BB) & I still have to take the center piece out of the airlock to take the hydrometer sample. Otherwise,it sucks back the vodka in the airlock. so a lil air still gets in. But is absorbed by the co2 blanketing the beer. I usually wait till the two week mark to take a gravity sample. But I have been known to just wait 3 weeks to check it,since it usually takes that long to hit FG & settle out clear or slightly misty.

I have spigots on all my fermenters (Except the BB) & I still have to take the center piece out of the airlock to take the hydrometer sample. Otherwise,it sucks back the vodka in the airlock. so a lil air still gets in. But is absorbed by the co2 blanketing the beer. I usually wait till the two week mark to take a gravity sample. But I have been known to just wait 3 weeks to check it,since it usually takes that long to hit FG & settle out clear or slightly misty.

+1. Mount them up higher than 2" to avoid getting a bunch of trub in the sample. Also, clean and sanitize spigots well between batches. Check before using to make sure no drips of leaks have developed.

Just relax. You shouldn't keep poking your beer while it is fermenting, but finished beer is remarkably stable and infection resistant. Just make sure you sanitize everything and don't sneeze in the bucket and you'll be fine. :)

Latest posts

Back