Spicy Heart Attack Shrimp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azscoob

Brewpub coming soon!
Reaction score
I have been making this shrimp dish for about 15 years now and despite the fact that it could very well stop my heart, it is fantastic! I figure that others on here may also enjoy expanding their waistline with this one.

2 lbs of raw shell-on or tail-on shrimp whichever you prefer or is on sale
1 lb butter (yes, 1 lb!)
1/4 cup olive oil
3-5 cloves of garlic, crushed then minced up
2 tbsp dried rosemary
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried oregano
1-2 tbsp Cayenne pepper (1 tbsp for less spicy)
1-2 tsp black pepper (1 tsp for less spicy)
2 whole bay leaves
1 tbsp paprika
2 tsp fresh lemon or lime juice, whichever you prefer
salt to taste, I use about 1-2 tsp or so
1-2 fresh crusty French bread loaves or something similar

Melt the butter in an oven safe pan, add olive oil and all seasonings minus the lemon/lime juice and simmer for 10 minutes on low heat.

Turn off the heat and let the seasoning mix rest for 20-30 minutes to let the flavors blend.

Preheat the oven to 450° while the seasonings rest.

Bring mixture back to a boil and add the lemon/lime juice and add the shrimp to the pan, stir until the shrimp just turn pink and place in the oven uncovered for 25 minutes for shell-on shrimp, 15 minutes for shell-off shrimp.

Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes or until no longer too hot to handle with your hands.

Serve in a bowl with some of the broth and a nice chunk of crusty bread, (I simply dump it all into a large serving bowl with a fresh loaf of bread on the side and everyone just digs in) peel and eat them with your hands and sop up all that great flavor with the bread, make a mess and enjoy!

The seasonings:
shrimp_001.jpg

Resting the seasonings:
shrimp_002.jpg

The thawed raw shrimp: (2 lb bag of frozen shrimp from Costco)
shrimp_003.jpg

Ready to clog your arteries:
shrimp_005.jpg

Thanks for the compliment! I made it a few days ago, my wife and I finished the whole thing! I am now thinking about poaching some fish in the leftover broth on the day after... :D

SB, good to hear you think its drool worthy, maybe make some homemade bread to go with this so you both have a part in the meal, my wife lacks bread making skills so I make both the bread and the shrimp. so strange I married an Italian who cannot bake bread, when her mother makes killer bread (taught me in fact) her uncle owns a bakery, yet no baking skills there, I think its an act, good thing she is cute and can cook otherwise.

Oh yeah, we eat lots of homemade bread but I prefer the heavy ones with hard crusts-not her. But she makes killer dinner rolls and french breads so I'll add that to her list too-bread sounds great with shrimp. Her preference for my part in the meal is to bus the table and wash the dishes so I'll galdly do that and leave the cooking to her.

Actually no, they dont get overcooked, maybe the citrus helps in that respect, they are firm but not rubbery. I tried less cooking time but the flavors dont get into the shrimp as well.
At the end of cooking the shell-on ones the shells are almost soft enough to eat without peeling.

try it, if you like it maybe adjust the cooking time down a bit and see how it turns out, then let me know the magic time on it.

I was talking about this to my wife and we're def gonna try it (as the recipes written) later this week. She agrees that it sounds like the shrimp would be over cooked but we'll see. I was thinking if they do taste over cooked then next time what about making the seasoning mixture as directed but cool half of it down and marinade the shrimp in it for 30-60min. Then bring the other half back to a simmer and drop the shrimp in few a few minutes until just cooked. Thoughts?

I'm not trying to change your recipe or anything...just brainstorming here.

No worries about changing it up, I modded the original recipe to get to this one, kept the cooking times the same though. I never thought about marinading the shrimp, that may work pretty good! I think the shrimp in the oven for that long sort of falls into the squid or octopus cooking style, cook them short and quick or for a fairly long time, when I make Italian octopus salad I boil the octopus for like 30-45 minutes to get it tender and to loosen the skin so its easy to peel and cut up.

That does look good. I asked about Deanie's New Orleans Style BBQ shrimp a while back (saw it on some food show). I wasn't crazy about the idea of head-on/unpeeled shrimp so I just never made it. I used to make a Cajun BBQ shrimp appetizer @ TGI Fridays many years ago, IIRC it was mostly their blackened/cajun seasoning with beer and butter, cooked quickly in a saute pan.

With football season coming up I'm going to have to try it...seems like a good football food. Could do several smaller batches in the same 'broth'. Would be nice to have the equivalent of celery/BC that is typ served with wings.

I wasn't crazy about the idea of head-on/unpeeled shrimp...

I wasn't at first either until my wife (who is from the Philippines) made me eat whole, head on shrimp once. I was a grossed out when she told me to suck the head. Once I did though it was delicious! The head is where all the juices reside. When ever possibly I would suggest cooking whole shrimp or at least cooking with the shell on the shrimp...it really adds a lot of flavor.

I wasn't at first either until my wife (who is from the Philippines) made me eat whole, head on shrimp once. I was a grossed out when she told me to suck the head. Once I did though it was delicious! The head is where all the juices reside. When ever possibly I would suggest cooking whole shrimp or at least cooking with the shell on the shrimp...it really adds a lot of flavor.
Yea, I can't even bring myself to do that with crawfish. Do shrimp have that little piece of fat in the head like crawfish do? That's what sucking a crawfish head is all about, getting that little piece of fat; not so much sucking juices out of it. Totally agree about the shell...but I just don't want that big vein.

Maybe it's just the terminology that creeps me out.:eek: Maybe I'll just get 'em split but not peeled.

I dont really remember any meat or fat in the head...just flavor really. I do remember the first time I tried it I made the mistake of looking inside and you could see this little black brain-like pea hangin. It didnt look too appetizing...

It was pretty hot watching my wife suck some heads...

Made a 1/4 batch of this tonight using no-head/shell-on/split/deveined shrimp...and a baguette. I did add 1/4 cup of Vienna Lager. Will def do again. Think I rooned a shirt.:rockin:

Made a 1/4 batch of this tonight using no-head/shell-on/split/deveined shrimp...and a baguette. I did add 1/4 cup of Vienna Lager. Will def do again. Think I rooned a shirt.:rockin:

Isn't it silly how good it is? with the possibility of jacking up clothing maybe a suggestion to wear old shirts, maybe even a bib is a good idea, glad you liked it!!

Isn't it silly how good it is? with the possibility of jacking up clothing maybe a suggestion to wear old shirts, maybe even a bib is a good idea, glad you liked it!!
Yes! And once I tried one I couldn't stop and they were a bit hot to peel, but fingertips be damned I wasn't stopping.

It all depends on how many shrimp you want to eat I guess, with 2 lbs of shrimp I can feed 3-4 people if I am using it to accompany other things, my wife and I will eat most of them with just the 2 of us, with enough for lunch for me the next day.

May I suggest putting any leftover shrimp in those disposable Tupperwear bowls so you can enjoy them on the ambulance ride to the ER when your heart starts to fail.

I just made these the other night, the bread was still warm out of the oven, and the shrimp were extra spicy, sure beats a bowl of popcorn while watching a movie!

Had this last weekend .... and it is AWESOME. Total cardiac killer...but delicious as anything!

I'm glad you liked it! I ran out of bread once, and used a shrimp tail as a sort of spoon.
My wife thinks I have issues, I feel I made due with what I had on hand to get the goodness in me.

I made this yesterday for a lunch party I had at home. I used 2kg prawns (four people eating), size was 21 to 25 prawns /kg - a fair size prawn (I assume a shrimp is a prawn or close).
Changed the cooking procedure slightly - I dipped the prawns into the sauce, removed them and put them on a baking tray under a hot grill (I prefer my prawns cooked untill the skin is crispy). When they were done I poured the rest of the sauce over them and sprinkled fresh chopped basil ontop.
It was one of the best meals in living memory !

I made this yesterday for a lunch party I had at home. I used 2kg prawns (four people eating), size was 21 to 25 prawns /kg - a fair size prawn (I assume a shrimp is a prawn or close).
Changed the cooking procedure slightly - I dipped the prawns into the sauce, removed them and put them on a baking tray under a hot grill (I prefer my prawns cooked untill the skin is crispy). When they were done I poured the rest of the sauce over them and sprinkled fresh chopped basil ontop.
It was one of the best meals in living memory !

I need to give that method a try! sounds like a fantastic variant.

Back