Spice extract settling on the bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andreiz

Reaction score
I kegged a winter saison yesterday, but before racking the beer in, I added a vanilla-cinnamon-clove extract I made using those spices and vodka. I was going for noticeable, but not pronounced taste, so I calculated exactly how much extract I needed by adding extract in 0.1 ml increments to 1 oz of beer and tasting, and then multiplying that amount to figure out the overall extract amount for the whole batch. After a couple of hours I drew off a bit of beer and it smelled and tasted strongly of the extract. I wonder if the extract settled on the bottom near the dip tube and is being drawn off in larger proportion than it would be normally. Should I open the keg and stir the beer up with a sanitized spoon or something?

I would just shake it up if you're worried about it. If you do that though, you may have to wait longer before you can drink it because it will foam up.

Back