Spent Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbsmann

Reaction score
I realize everyone uses their spent grains for chicken feed, compost or making dog treats, but I throw mine away. Even after a dozen AG brews, I haven't perfected my disposal and am looking for suggestions. I like to empty and clean my MT while the boil is going but the grains are still pretty hot at that time and if I throw them in a garbage bag, they burn through and create a mess. If I throw them in a container, then I have to handle them twice (to put in a garbage back once cooled), which I don't want. What's the most easiest and most efficient way to dump 10-18lbs of grains - in the garbage?

Are you using a paper bag? ==(8-0 The grain shouldn't be hot enough to melt a plastic bag. It will weaken a plastic bag.

How about this: line a 5 gallon bucket with a kitchen garbage bag. Dump the grain in that and tie it off. Later when it is cool, you can pour it (bag and all) into the trash.

Wilserbrewer will make a polyester voile bag to fit your MT. You can just use that to dump with your grass clippings.

For some time now I've been spreading spent mash grains across my back yard. My chickens can only eat so much.

Thanks guys. I think you found the root of my problem in using cheap-o garbage bags. Ironically I have some of the thicker contractor bags in the basement that I never thought to use. I will now!

Why bother with the garbage? I throw mine right on my grass. If I fling it just right the coverage is good and I can walk away. If I fling poorly I have to get out the rake and spread it out. It's grass food in a week or two.

I second the Wilser bag approach. I do BIAB so it's build into the process to have it easily ready to walk out back and compost or yard-post or whatever.

Why bother with the garbage? I throw mine right on my grass. If I fling it just right the coverage is good and I can walk away. If I fling poorly I have to get out the rake and spread it out. It's grass food in a week or two.

I do that too in the summer. Wife would kill me if I broadcast it in the winter after the snow falls. (I may try it with a little to see if the birds eat it)

Contractor garbage bag in the garage trash can. The trash bags are cheap if you buy them at Costco but you can find decent deals on “$—/bag” and realize it’s costing you $1 or less to dispose of everything and save a lot of time cleaning up for cheap. Throw all the paper towels, grain, hops, grub, extra sparse water, etc. in the trash, tie it up and toss it in the trash can. It’s even easier when you brew Sunday mornings and it doesn’t sit around for very long because trash comes on Monday.

I dump the mash tun on the driveway. After it cools and loses some moisture I shovel into plastic bags from grocery store and throw them in the trash. Only problem is keeping dogs out of it while it cools.

My wife actually started asking me when I was going to brew next. She discovered it was good for the garden. :ban:

I live on five mostly wooded acres, and my neighbors mind their own business. I just dump my mash tun in a different spot every time.

It must be healthy, cause one time I took a rake and turned the pile over a couple weeks later. There was all kinds of life goin' on under there.

I live on five mostly wooded acres, and my neighbors mind their own business. I just dump my mash tun in a different spot every time.

I live on a farm, in the middle of nowhere, a few miles from the Canadian border. The nearest neighbor, in any direction, is 2 miles away. I dump my spent grains in the trees along the upwind side of our farm yard. The deer love them.

Mark

I live on a farm, in the middle of nowhere, a few miles from the Canadian border. The nearest neighbor, in any direction, is 2 miles away. I dump my spent grains in the trees along the upwind side of our farm yard. The deer love them.

Mark
The deer here in Maryland seem to want nothing to do with my grain. My yard ends in a forested area populated with lots of deer (see a couple a week up against my fence). I dunno my spent grains a few meters into the treeline outside my fence where I see the deer and each time I go back the piles of grain still remain. Finicky deer, I guess.

On a whim I advertised spent grain on our local online yard sale FB page...I had people calling me right and left to come get the grain. I took the first offer - eggs for grain - but took down the contact of an animal rescue who take in livestock too. I have composted it but it breaks done slower than I like and fills my composter pretty quickly. Undoubtedly good for the garden/lawn/wild birds.

Cheers! Don

Back