specific gravity after bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSBrewer

Reaction score
I took readings before and after on my last brew. Before bottling it tasted very dry, which was great. After adding the priming sugar, bottling, and letting it stay in the bottle for over 3 months, the final product still tastes too sweet, as though all the priming sugar was not utilized.

I'd like to take a post-bottling SG reading. Any tips on this? I just poured some into the little vial and obviously I have to at least wait for the head to settle out before I can read the floater, but is it necessary for it to go completely flat for an accurate reading? Has anyone even ever done this before? Obviously, what I am curious about is if the SG has increased since bottling day (before adding the priming sugar).

Inebriatedly yours (hey, it's brewing day!),

FSbrewer

If you've got roughly the level of carbonation you expected, it's hard to think that a significant part of the priming sugar remains unconverted.

That said, if you want to check, you can degas the beer by shaking it vigorously several times in an open container.

I'll try that. Perhaps my memory is corrupt, but I feel the carbonated version is distinctly sweeter tasting than the pre-carbonated. On this next batch I'll fill a bottle and cap it before adding the priming sugar so that I can have a side-by-side comparison down the road. Should be a good experiment.

Back