Specialy-grain-bag or Colander-with-streched-voile for 1 gallon AG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yirg

Reaction score
The bag I'm using for steeping specialty grains (5 gallon extract brewing) fits 3~4 pounds (1.7 KG) of grains, which should be enough for mashing 1 gallon AG batches.

Alternatively, I was thinking about stretching polyester voile cloth within this colander, as it fits (after base removal) into my 11qt pot. The colander probably can fit way more grain (not that there's any need for such a small batch), and can have the normal amount of grain less densely packed. Will that help efficiency?

Another possible advantage of the colander is that it can act as a false-bottom, protecting the cloth from heat if/when I have to turn on the fire to keep withing the target mashing temperature.

Bottom line, should I bother finding a place that sells polyester voile, or would the specialty grain bag be sufficient?

Thanks in advance!

Paint strainer bad in colander.

This is what I use. Actually I put the grains right in the pot and into the over, then put the bag over my strainer and pour them through. The strainer does not sit on the bottom but hangs off the top. I recirculate a few times then repeat the steps with my sparge. I hit 75-80% efficiency.

Even when I used to do direct heat on the stove, I never burnt the grains but the oven is the way to go, works much better than direct heat.

Thanks for the great advice. I'll look for a paint strainer bag and will see if my pot fits in the oven. I think it should, and it's all metal so I know it's suitable for such use.

BTW, do you use the oven's integral temperature control or an external switch?

5 gallon paint strainer bag. I used that for my first AG. It did very well.

I use 1 gallon paint strainer bags for hop pellets, 1 bag for each hop addition. The bags are cheap. I tie twine around the neck and tie it off to the pot handle. Hops tend to float, the bags are weighted with 1 or 2 kitchen spoons - why use glass marbles?

Latest posts

Back