Specialty Grain Steeping (Quick Help please?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatBaldBeerGuy

Reaction score
OK, quick question everyone:

I am preparing to brew an extract kit with specialty grains right now. the instructions state to steep in 2 gallons, then add a gallon and bring to a boil.

I was planning to start with 5 gallons and top off to a full 5 gallons when done, so I am wondering how much I should steep with? Do I stay with 2 gallons, then add 3 and boil? Or do I steep the full 4 or 5 gallons and go from there?

I don't want to have too much water and minimize the impact of the steeping so I wasn't sure which would be better.

Thanks!

It probably doesn't matter since steeping has little enzyme activity anyways, but I'd steep in 2 gallons anyways -- or just enough water to cover all the grain.

Actually, the larger the quantity of water you use to steep with, the more sugars you will end up extracting from the grain. So 5 gallons would do better than 2.

Even better results would be gotten from steeping in 3 gallons of water and then steeping/rinsing the grains in an additional 2 gallons and then mixing the 2.

Calder said:
Actually, the larger the quantity of water you use to steep with, the more sugars you will end up extracting from the grain. So 5 gallons would do better than 2.

Even better results would be gotten from steeping in 3 gallons of water and then steeping/rinsing the grains in an additional 2 gallons and then mixing the 2.

Where did you get this info?

I thought steeping grains didn't extract sugars anyway.

Plus the more water you would use would need more grains to drop the ph of the water???

Where did you get this info?

I thought steeping grains didn't extract sugars anyway.

Plus the more water you would use would need more grains to drop the ph of the water???

Remember, you are steeping, not mashing, so the PH doesn't matter.

Yes, specialty grains do contain sugar. They also contain starches, but with steeping you will not convert the starches, so all you are trying to do is dissolve the sugars in the grains and rinse them off. With a larger amount of water, the lower the gravity of the water/wort, allowing you to more easily extract the sugars. For example, if you only used 1 quart for a pound, the liquid retained by the grain would still contain a high level of sugars. Rinsing them a second time (like sparging) extracts more sugars due to the dilution of the sugars.

Crystal contains more sugars than roasted grains. If you steep efficiently, you can get up to about 20 points from a pound of crystal and 8 to 10 points from roasted grains. If you mashed either Crystal or Roasted grains, you have the potential to extract up to about 34 points per lb (100% mash efficiency).

If you use a beer calculator, you will probably find it is set to 50% efficiency for steeping grains, which says it is assuming around 16 to 17 points from a pound of grain when steeped.

Latest posts

Back