Specialty grain added late in boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sclitch

Reaction score
I've learned just about all I know from brewing from this website, and today is the first day that I've actually signed up!

Anyway- yesterday I made my 4th AG batch and I'm loving it so far. My latest was an all Citra APA... hopefully similar to Zombie Dust.

As I was rummaging for my bag of Irish moss, I realized that I never added my 0.5lb of Carafoam (Dextrin) to my mash. So, I quickly threw those grains in a bag on my stove top in limited water, hoping to save my mistake. Obviously I had to cut the steeping short at 10 min or so, and then I only got the resulting liquid in the boil for about 10 min. The steeped Carafoam liquid still tasted starchy, but I threw it in anyway.

Think this was a bad idea? Anyone know if I might have any off flavours? Recommendations as to what I should have done instead?

Thanks!

Also my overall mash efficiency was about 10% lower than normal :( :( :(

Ahh great idea! Would you use regular DME regardless of the base malt used in the beer you're brewing?

Latest posts

Back