Sparge Arm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

armymedic942

Reaction score
Hello eyeryone,

I am in the process of building a 3 vessel Electric HERMS setup. I have a question regarding Sparge Arms, as this is the last component that I have yet to settle on a design for.

I have considered the Blichmann auto sparge, or a simple copper loop with holes drilled into it. (FYI my Mash/Lauter tun is a converted Sanke Keg)

I have also thought about using a shower head or rotating lawn sprinkler (one of those small 3 armed triangular ones)

I would really appreciate some advice on what is best, since I am new to All-grain

PS does anyone use their sparge arm during the wort recirculation?

Cheers

I just lay a loop of silicone hose across the top of the grain bed. I will soon be adding the blichman auto sparge to my setup.

Thanks Peter,

I ended up picking up one of these to start off

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/stainless-economy-sparge-arm.html

about 2 weeks away from my first all-grain brew

wish me luck!

Cheers:mug:

The one thing I don't like about that sparge arm is that they use the same sprayer that is used for aeration while filling your fermenter. It's fine if you want to aerate your cooled wort but you really don't want to aerate your pre-boiled wort.

Keep it close to the grain bed and you should be fine.

armymedic942 said:
Thanks Peter,

I ended up picking up one of these to start off

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/stainless-economy-sparge-arm.html

about 2 weeks away from my first all-grain brew

wish me luck!

Cheers:mug:

That's basically what I use except mine is attached to copper instead of stainless. I recirculate during the entire mash. I keep the flow pretty low (ball valve about 1/4 to 1/3 open). I started out with a sparge arm made of copper tubing with slits cut in it but it had a tendency to trap bits of grain when recirculating the mash; this one wont do that.

microbusbrewery said:
That's basically what I use except mine is attached to copper instead of stainless. I recirculate during the entire mash. I keep the flow pretty low (ball valve about 1/4 to 1/3 open). I started out with a sparge arm made of copper tubing with slits cut in it but it had a tendency to trap bits of grain when recirculating the mash; this one wont do that.

Thanks for the reply, so if I understand you correctly, you use the spathe arm to recirculate the mash, as well as during the sparge?

armymedic942 said:
Thanks for the reply, so if I understand you correctly, you use the spathe arm to recirculate the mash, as well as during the sparge?

Yep. I have it rigged up so I can adjust the height, so I lower it to the level of the top of the mash. It provides for a nice gentle recirculation as long as you don't run the pump full throttle.

Back