Southern ontario

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelcitybrew

Reaction score
ehh guys

Im from Hamilton, Ontario. 23 and in love with brewing apfelwein. Im on my true first batch (5 gallons in carboy 5 days deep fermenting). But I started doing it with a friend (done 15 gallons in 5 gallon batches) but the bastard would give away so much of it, and would drink it while in primary when I wasnt there!

Needless to say, this drove me insane especially since we would split costs. (haha only 20 bucks for juice, but im a starving student...or a drunk?) So I did something about it and started brewing my own. Easy enough fix.

I love this forum and have been sneakin around for a while, finally made a username and wanted to post but figured I would give an intro first.

Anyways glad to be a part of this place formally.

take 'er easy
-Ryan

If you like AW, try messing with the recipe. Some people have gotten some really goot results with switching up yeasts and sugar volumes.
I now always do 15 gallons juice, 8lbs dextrose and 3068 wyeast.. This yeast is awsome for cider after some of the yeast floccs out.

I havnt yet tried switchin up yeasts yet because I bought 4 packs of EC-1118 for what ever reason after my first batch. But I definitely plan on venturing out.

I always play around with backsweetening, But your right I definitely need to start tweaking the recipe and the yeast. Probably friday im going to start another 5 gallon batch with a tweaked recipe to get rid of that 1118. Just hoping this yeast wont strip away all of the flavors. But I will definitely post somewheres on here how it went.

thanks for the tip, Ive heard good things about that yeast, gunna pick up a couple packs off the net since my brew store doesnt carry it.

Welcome. I tried a friends appfelwein, and now want to make a batch as well...

Looking forward to seeing your recipe observations.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back