south of Houston, Texas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bford

Reaction score
About to brew my first batch today.

Have been drinking craft beer for many years now... I won't lie... I thought brewing beer was mysterious and probably very difficult... until I had the chance to watch a friend brew beer.. I'm not saying it is easy, but it certainly isn't the HUGE mystery I made it out to be before.

I teach Texas History to 7th graders for monies. Married with two great kids.

My true passion is writing songs/playing guitar. I've been in many bands in the past. I'm starting a solo project here in 2014. Will be playing around the Clear Lake/Webster area mostly.

Nice to be here and learn.:D

Welcome home ;) I wish you the best of luck and please reach out to all of us when you have any questions.

Welcome to the hobby, and the group. With a little preparation, anyone can make good beer. It's getting from good to great that takes the huge learning and effort.

I lived in the Hillcrest Village apartments right after high school. I was working at Dow Chemical in Freeport. I haven't had there BBQ but I keep hearing how good it is. I know I eat at his steak house as much as my wallet will allow. I still go to Alvin occasionally to eat and drink at Gordon Street Tavern. I love that place, good beer to.

I'm also new to brewing in Pearland. I've only been living here for a few years. I grew up in Lake Jackson and worked in Dow for a short period of time.

Well welcome. It amazes me how many people on here brew in Pearland. But there is no good beer anywhere in town. Chilies, Bogies, BJ's, and Center Court Pizza are the only places I know of. All have good food but limited selection of beer.

Well welcome. It amazes me how many people on here brew in Pearland. But there is no good beer anywhere in town. Chilies, Bogies, BJ's, and Center Court Pizza are the only places I know of. All have good food but limited selection of beer.

True story about the beer. I've been to chili's and BJs. Not the others though. I do enjoy going to BJs for their craft beer. Interesting fact: I just leaned that BJs no longer brews beer in house. TABC laws prevent restaurants from brewing in house now. They only make root beer there. The beer recipes are sent to a micro brewery elsewhere.

True story about the beer. I've been to chili's and BJs. Not the others though. I do enjoy going to BJs for their craft beer. Interesting fact: I just leaned that BJs no longer brews beer in house. TABC laws prevent restaurants from brewing in house now. They only make root beer there. The beer recipes are sent to a micro brewery elsewhere.

I think Saint Arnold's brews for them as contract brewer

Ya St Arnolds brews it. But they have a lot of other beers as well. It's also more of a Brazoria County thing than tabc I believe.

Ya St Arnolds brews it. But they have a lot of other beers as well. It's also more of a Brazoria County thing than tabc I believe.

You may be right. When BJs manager was telling me this, I had already had 3 Tatonka Stouts. Lol. Who knows what else I missed.
:mug:

Welcome from CENTEX...

Brewing can be all consuming, or an at distance afterthought, or anywhere inbetween.. completely your choice.

And no foul no harm in starting with mixing pre hopped wort and water/ yeast, and deciding later to try Extract and steeping grains, or going for an All Grain rig, or just BIAB

Thanks everyone.

I'm going to be brewing my second batch tomorrow... a one gallon mix from Brooklyn Brew Shop.

One of my best friends is a chef and he is coming over to watch/help/drink during the process.

Saint Arnold is the contract brewer for the BJ's in the Houston area.... not sure about the rest of Texas.

Last time I was there Center Court had a pretty good selection between bottles and draft.

Of course Gordon Street Tavern in Alvin is the best craft beer place in the direct area.. before driving over to Nobi Public House... which I love.. but man.. it gets so crowded there now sometimes.... it can be hard to find a seat.

I was curious if anyone would want to start a homebrew club in Pearland. I talked to bogies in Pearland and they would be happy to have us for meetings. We could maybe do some bulk grain buys or buy a whiskey barrel to split. Just a thought but I thought it would be interesting. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Back