Sours and Funk - Confused on Primary vs Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eujamfh

Reaction score
I know there are lots of posts and I have read a looooooot of them.

I just jumped into sours / funky beers and have four I brewed a month ago. Below are the style and yeast used:

- Lambic that will get some sort of fruit (WLP 655)
- Blonde that will get a little oak (Brett and Pedio)
- Dark that will have cherries and a little oak (WY 3822)
- Flanders (WY 3763)

I intended to leave them in primary for ~10 months and then racking to fruit but after reading other posts I am wondering if I should secondary before putting on fruit.

They are in glass carboys and one (the Red) has a pellicle that has formed.

Should I just leave them in primary? Not much trub in any of them, fermentations first 3-5 days were all rock solid with lots of activity.

There are lots of opinions on what to do in the posts over the years and just looking for a push one way or another.

Thanks for any input!

If they all have brett, they should be fine in the primary. How long have they been int he primary now?
I usually put mine in a secondary at about 2-3 weeks, but have also left some on the primary yeast cake. I feel more comfortable transfering at this time as the yeast is still cloudy in the fermenter. If I do go to a secondary I fill it to the neck of the carboy (I usually primary in a 6 gallon and secondary in a 5) I don't like head space in any of my sour fermenters, even if I have purged co2. I have topped off beers that have stayed in the primary.

If I was going to secondary with fruit anyways, I would probably just leave it alone in the primary so I don't risk exposing it to much moving it around.

Latest posts

Back