Souring an ''high'' IBU beer/sort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiroux

Reaction score
Hi there!

The title is pretty expressive... I'm not talking sour mash prior to boil/hops here, but really a long lactic fermentation on 18-24 months.

I'm planning on a Oud Bruin, wich a softly sour, but around 20-25 IBU, while lactobacillus, at least the commercially available strains, are not tolerant over 10 IBU.

I know IBU don't kill the bugs, but just lower their ability to reproduce. So, my question is: If I want to get at least a little tartness out of the oud bruin, should I pitch a big active culture of lacto? In fact, I plan on pitch 3 separate cultures in secondary, which are lacto D, Peddio and Brett C...

Can I say: The bigger starter I pitch, the strong acidity I'll get?

If you are dead set on those IBU's, perhaps you can try the Berliner Weisse method of pitching a big lacto starter before you pitch anything else. Keep the wort at around 100F for a 3-7 days. Then cold crash and pitch the rest of your bugs. I would probably do this anyway if I were using WL or WY cultures.

I read somewhere that Russian River has around 24 IBu's in their sour beers, but I can't find the reference to back that up.

Why not just lower your IBU's to be on the safe side? With the extended aging, you probably won't retain any of that bitterness or any other compounds from the hops.

If you are dead set on those IBU's, perhaps you can try the Berliner Weisse method of pitching a big lacto starter before you pitch anything else. Keep the wort at around 100F for a 3-7 days. Then cold crash and pitch the rest of your bugs. I would probably do this anyway if I were using WL or WY cultures.

If the lacto isn't tolerant to IBU... to pitch it prior to fermentation won't change much.

I read somewhere that Russian River has around 24 IBu's in their sour beers, but I can't find the reference to back that up.

Yhea, they say it themselve... around 27 IBU...

Why not just lower your IBU's to be on the safe side? With the extended aging, you probably won't retain any of that bitterness or any other compounds from the hops.

Oud Bruin are typically around 20-25 IBU, and you can feel a little bitnerss in there. Aging won't kill ALL the bitterness, and in such delicate beers, balance is the key...

If you're aging that long, the pedio should provide the sourness you need. That is what happens with RR beers. If you listen to the old recording of Vinnie's talk at NHC, I think he says he prefers sourness of pedio over lactobacillus.

Sent from my VM670 using Home Brew mobile app

18 to 24 months. Just add some dregs from a couple of bottles of JP and be done with it. They should take care of it.

Back