Soured Saison too young?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RachmaelBenApplebaum

Reaction score
I whipped up a batch of saison last weekend, I had also soured 1 1/2lbs of wheat for 2 days in preparation for my first quick sour. After the boil, very low hops added, I tasted the wort and it wasn't anywhere near as sour as I imagined it should be, so, throwing caution to the wind I threw some remnants of the sour mash into the fermenter when it was cooled and pitched Belle Saison dry yeast (not my favorite). Anyhow after 3 days it was no longer fermenting (f.g.1.002) much anyhow and was pretty sour, but tasted really bland? I kegged it and now after a couple of days, while not carbed, the sourness is there but kindof unpleasant, and the malt is nonexistent, kinda biscuity/bready vomit. Mostly it's just flat tasting and sour. Would this benefit from a really long cold stabilization or is this batch, like so few before it, destined for the curb? I know the mixed wisdom of throwing unboiled grain in the fermenter but when I did the sour mash it smelled fruity and complex and amazing, the fermentation also smelled similar, but when I racked it into the keg when it was done it seemed completely dead.

Back