Sour twang taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSgt75

Reaction score
I have brewed my second batch and it taste sour like the first one. The first batch I let sit a week and the second I left for 2 weeks. Is the sour taste due to not Letting it ferment long enough? I really enjoy brewing but the taste is not that great.

Let us know what you brewed and how and you will probably get
a lot of answers.Sour sounds like an infection to me.

Cheers

I brewed my first batch with a mr beer kit and it turned out sour/cider like. I'm on my second batch now but using grains, dme, and hops. From what I gathered it was an infection due to not getting correctly sanitized. The powder that comes in the kit doesnt work real well from what every has said. I was told to use star san as a sanitizer by just about everyone. On a positive note I tried my first batch again last night and it was a lot better. I think the ferment/bottle condition times are off in the instructions. Most homebrew seems to take around the 6 week mark to be done. Look up the 2-2-2 and the 1-2-3 methods. Keep in mind checking gravity is the best way to check if it is done fermenting.

Mexican Cerveza 2 weeks ferment 1 week bottle 1 week in frig.

4 weeks should be fine from kettle to drinking on some brews.I started
out with extract and a plastic jug 14 years ago with plenty of unpleasant
results.Dont stop brewing because of these setbacks,you will make the best
beer you`ve ever had in time.Make sure your sanitation is a top priority.I`ve
got a summer ale I made last year that got an infection.To this day it is
so sour it is hard to drink.Being the bonehead brewer that I am, I refuse
to dump it.I drink a bottle about 2 months hoping it will get better.Should be gone in about 2 more years (LOL).Anyway keep on brewin`

Cheers

Stikks, is your picture a mix of Obama and Bush? Looks like they did a good blending job anyway.
OP, the Mr. Beer kits are entry level and you can do much better spending 30 dollars on a real beer next time. If you give them enough time they may get better or worse. Its a mass produced product that isn't always good to begin with.

Stikks, is your picture a mix of Obama and Bush? Looks like they did a good blending job anyway.
OP, the Mr. Beer kits are entry level and you can do much better spending 30 dollars on a real beer next time. If you give them enough time they may get better or worse. Its a mass produced product that isn't always good to begin with.

Nice catch,it sure is.I thought it was funny as h*ll.

Cheers

I've found a sour 'twang' flavor using many extract kits. I found I got a lot less of that flavor after leaving the beer to age at room temp for about 2-4 weeks; also pitching a large starter helps a lot with off flavors in my experience.

I used a mr beer kit once with the same result. Most of the time I think the ingredients are old to start with. The barrel fermenter they sell you has grooves notched in the inner cap to allow air to escape but also lets air in which can easily lead to wild yeast getting in and throwing off flavors. Using the sanitizer they provide is also sketchy. Use oxiclean to clean things and star san rinse less sanitizer to sanitize. I have never had greay luck usinh table sugar for bottling. I use corn sugar. I found using other beer kits from a home brew store where way more fun and rewarding. Using speciality grains witb malt extract is fairly simple too. As for fermentation times, generally beginners use a method that is six weeks long give or take. 2 primary, 2 secondary, two in bottle. Or 3primary 2 secondary1 bottle or 4 primary 2 bottle.

Latest posts

Back