Sour smell in primary fermenter - something to worry about?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eisenhans

Reaction score
Ahoy, folks:

My first batch ever finished in the primary fermentor yesterday, and I transferred it into a carboy without a hitch. When I opened up the bucket to clean it out, it had a very sour smell to it. I tried a small sample of the beer that was still in the transfer tube, and it smelled sour as well - but tasted as I expected it to (delicious!).

Is this just because of the yeast and sediment at the bottom? Or is it possible I have something to worry about? The beer looks fine, normal, and is resting easy in the carboy...but that smell from the bucket has me worried.

I just smelled the carboy and it has that same smell - not as putrid, but kind of sour fruity.

The beer was a heffeweizen kit, with added wheat DME. I can't tell you specific amounts because I didn't bother writing this one down (since it was a kit).

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I found a thread covering exactly this:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/do-hefeweizens-typically-smell-sour-when-opening-fermenter-223160/

Nevermind! A mod can delete this one if necessary :)

You brewed a Hefe and I'm assuming with Hefe yeast. This yeast always smells kind of nasty while it ferments IMO.

What you describe is totally normal and if the beer tasted fine you have nothing to worry about

Latest posts

Back