Sour mashing my Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sofge

Reaction score
I'm brewing an Oak-Bourbon American Brown Ale today and I thought it would be cool to do a sour mash. I'm not attempting the sour mash THIS time, as I have not prepared it, but rather am considering using it on this recipe in the future. For this time, I was considering using Gypsum to give me an idea of what flavor I might get from doing the sour mash. Is this a good idea? How much should I use and at what time? Thanks for your help!

It will alter your water chemistry but it will not mimic a sour mash in the least bit.

I'm brewing an Oak-Bourbon American Brown Ale today and I thought it would be cool to do a sour mash. I'm not attempting the sour mash THIS time, as I have not prepared it, but rather am considering using it on this recipe in the future. For this time, I was considering using Gypsum to give me an idea of what flavor I might get from doing the sour mash. Is this a good idea? How much should I use and at what time? Thanks for your help!

I think you're confusing gypsum with lactic acid. A sour mash is usually done to promote Lactobacillus bacteria growth which produces lactic acid as it ferments.

Gypsum is Calcium Sulfate which has its own flavor profile, but 'sour' is probably not the way most people would describe it.

Bourbon and sour don't mix. A local brewery tried it and made about as good a beer as you could make with those elements, and it sucked. Think about it...sour bourbon? Bleh.

rexbanner said:
Bourbon and sour don't mix. A local brewery tried it and made about as good a beer as you could make with those elements, and it sucked. Think about it...sour bourbon? Bleh.

I like a whiskey sour. I know it's gonna be different, but that is still bourbon and sour.

You can achieve the same pH with enough gypsum but the real twang from a sour mash is a product of lactic acid. The sourness would be a lot different.

Back