Sour beer cleanliness advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSmith

Reaction score
Would you use separate washing/sanitizing buckets, wash rags or premixed jugs of saniziter for sour beers vs regular ales/lagers?

I've read a lot about different fermenters and bottling equipment, but not these cleanliness/sanitizer items.

I've brew sours, all Bretts and mixed sacc/bacteria blends and don't keep separate equipment and I've never had a problem brewing all sacc beers using the same equipment. Just use your normal cleaning routine (oxygen based cleaner follow by a sanitizing agent) and you'll be fine. Just because the possibility of cross-contamination exists the odds are extremely low, despite what people say...as long as you follow the normal cleaning routine, you'll have a better chance of getting hit by lighting than cross-contamination.

i have extra equipment... only big reason behind that? it takes forever to make a sour :) if i used all my normal stuff, i wouldn't ever be able to brew.

That's a good point. Separate long term fermentor but primary stuff can all be the same old stuff.

Latest posts

Back