Sound like a middle of the road porter/stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormcrow

Reaction score
4 gallon batch.
Looking at doing

7lbs. Marris Otter (84.8%)
8 oz. Roasted barley (6.1%)
6 oz. Fawcett pale chocolate (4.5%)
6 oz. Flaked Barley (4.5%)

Hopped to around 30 IBU with something English or Northern Brewer.

Trying to keep it simple. I loved the pale chocolate in brown ale I did a few months ago. Any advice?
Thanks

Yeah, you're probably on the money if you want a porter bordering on a stout. The pale chocolate might get lost against the roasted barley, but it depends what you're going for. My favorite easy drinking stout uses 6% each UK black patent and chocolate malt.

Yeah, you're probably on the money if you want a porter bordering on a stout. The pale chocolate might get lost against the roasted barley, but it depends what you're going for. My favorite easy drinking stout uses 6% each UK black patent and chocolate malt.
Awesome. Thanks. Any recommendations on a yeast? I try to stick with dry.

With that much roast barley and no brown malt or crystal malt, I'd lean more towards it being a stout. Either way, it looks quite reasonable and should be good. I'm with you on really liking pale chocolate - it's a great malt. What's the expected OG? 1.050ish? For yeast, it depends whether you're aiming for clean (us05) or a bit fruitier. My personal favourite at the moment for all dark beers is WY1318.

With that much roast barley and no brown malt or crystal malt, I'd lean more towards it being a stout. Either way, it looks quite reasonable and should be good. I'm with you on really liking pale chocolate - it's a great malt. What's the expected OG? 1.050ish? For yeast, it depends whether you're aiming for clean (us05) or a bit fruitier. My personal favourite at the moment for all dark beers is WY1318.
The app I use is predicting 1.053. That said, I had to enter the pale chocolate as regular chocolate malt in the software because that's the only one it has. I doubt it will affect gravity much though, maybe the color. Since I was planning on getting this beer ready for Christmas, I thought about pulling a gallon into a secondary with some kind of dark fruit or spruce tips or something. Not sure what I'm getting into there though. I know there are some hops that might add some pine or minty notes. I'm still brainstorming. If you know of a cool post boil experiment I could do with a gallon, please let me know. Maybe something Christmas themed.

If I was putting a gallon away for that long, I'd go with something big and spicy. Maybe a half pound each of DME and honey and some steeped crystal malt, simmered with some spices (orange zest, cinnamon, vanilla, cloves, nutmeg) added to the gallon to make a boozey spiced christmas stout?

I like it. No frills grist, with enough roasted malts to say "yup, I'm a stout". I hop mine with northern brewer usually. Yeast you can go almost anywhere; I stick to English strains typically, but US05 would be fine.

I'm happily drinking this now.
2 gallons (1.050-1.012)
1.5 lbs golden light dme
1 lb wheat dme
6 ozs pale chocolate malt
4 ozs victory
2 ozs black patent
.2 oz palisades
.66 oz EKGs
S-04

Latest posts

Back