Sorta Convoluted Copper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillieP

Reaction score
So I've been doing a lot of research on heat exchangers, whether it be HEX for a mash tun or a CFC for chilling.
The idea of using Convoluted copper tubing appeals to me, the cost however, I can not justify.
So, of coarse, next thought is DIY.

I've seen the videos with the solid copper wire soldered on the outside of the tubing, and I like it. However that only helps out with the coolant.

I'm wondering if you were able to 'groove' the copper tubing so that the wort flow inside the copper tubing was also disturbed. I don't think that you would have to do this continuously. My thought is; groove the tubing, move down, solder wire on outside, move down...repeat...

I've only found one thread about homemade convoluted tubing and all the pictures and videos not longer work. Does anyone have any input on this topic?

Any help would be Greatly Appreciated!

Cheers,
Willie P

Stillraining,
I was able to find that article earlier, but thanks for your input.
Interesting article, sorta proves it does have some positive effect on heat transfer.

Cheers

Back