Sonoma/Napa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopbrad

Reaction score
Im heading there for a week for a wedding. Mostly vineyards and wine tastings, obviously.
1 day at Russian River and Lagunitas.
1 day in San Fran meeting up with 2 friends that live there

Any other breweries/pubs to check out?

Russian River and Cellarmaker should be your top two priorities

I'd put Rare Barrel at 3, but it's hours and location are going to likely be inconvenient for you.

Laugunitas is OK..they have a very nice outdoor area, but as far as beer, the above 3 are IMO the best around. Ive not been to bear republic , but find their beer to be pretty mediocre...same goes for 21st amendment..and it's brewed in Minnesota anyways.

As for beer bars in SF I'd check out Toronado and City Beer. For the love of god if you go to Toronado, make sure to step next door and get a sausage.

Man, sooooo many... guessing at least one of your friends is a beer geek and can show you the way, but, 21A, while not bad, is only the tip of the iceberg. A couple pubs not to miss are Zeitgeist (long as the weather's nice) and City Beer Store (long as they're not doing an event, they can get crowded).

If you're into sours (and your tongue isn't already stripped from 'tion beers at Russian River), The Rare Barrel in Berkeley is worth checking out, they're a new, all-sour brewery whose stuff has gone from good to excellent over the past couple years.

same goes for 21st amendment..and it's brewed in Minnesota anyways.

Their pub/draft beers have always been brewed in San Francisco. Hard to say what the ultimate fate of their canned line is, they're in the process of opening a big brewing/canning facility across the bay in San Leandro, but they do hold a partial ownership stake in the Minnesota facility that currently makes their canned beers, so, hard to tell whether they're gonna bring the whole kit-and-kaboodle back West or run some kind of split model.

I won't argue that their beers are a little unremarkable. But, dangit, they're still our California unremarkable beers!

Bear Republic does some excellent limited-run double/black/etc IPA variations, and have started dabbling in sours. Don't go there for Racer 5; it's a great IPA, but there's a reason nobody's ever accused it of being The Best Beer In The World, and, anyway, it's hard to find a bar in San Francisco with more than three taps that doesn't have Racer on one of 'em. But the stuff you can only get at the brewery may well be worth your while.

awesome thanks!
I recently heard of the Rare barrel thru a search and saw they won a few awards at GABF so that is on the radar for sure. love me some sours!
Ill look into cellarmaker too.

Lagunitas wasnt top of my list but the outdoor area and live music appealed to the rest of the group.

Coopers in Santa Rosa and Sonomasprings in Sonoma...their stuff changes all the time but I live there and really like the place. If they have the whisky aged rye on tap you're in luck!

Coopers in Santa Rosa and Sonomasprings in Sonoma...their stuff changes all the time but I live there and really like the place. If they have the whisky aged rye on tap you're in luck!

I believe that would be Cooperage in Santa Rosa, Mr. Normonster. Also check out St. Florians in Windsor, and Third St. Ale works in Santa Rosa. They're just around the corner from Russian River.
Fogbelt in Santa Rosa is really good too.

I believe that would be Cooperage in Santa Rosa, Mr. Normonster. Also check out St. Florians in Windsor, and Third St. Ale works in Santa Rosa. They're just around the corner from Russian River.
Fogbelt in Santa Rosa is really good too.

[emoji13]

Moylan's Brewery and Restaurant- Novato, CA
Marin Brewing Company

Here are two more, that are a little closer to where your staying. I lived walking distance to Moylan's years ago good times.

If you're a guitar player, going to Lagunitas has another plus: it's a block away from Mesa Boogie, who make some of the best amps in the business.

well, RR was the only brewery we made it too but i was able to drink a fair share of beer while in wine country. Did the full sampler at RR, really great stuff and brought back some sours and a few plineys.

top 3 favorites beers:
1. RR Framboise for a cure
2. Stone Enjoy By 10/31/15
3. RR Pliney

honorable mention goes to a Mexican Imperial Stout by Microcerveceria Calavera during the layover in the Mexico City airport.

Back