Some inspiration for home brewers that might "one day" want to go pro

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deeve007

Reaction score
Hey brewers!

A beginner here, but have had first hand contact with two examples that might help inspire some here (and you guys might have some more)... they have certainly lit a fire under my ass! :ban:

A friend of mine who was a home brewer for a number of years, launched this home brew equipment business a few years ago, brew kits designed by him, and it has been a great success: https://smallbatchbrew.com.au

So much so that he will be starting an actual "small batch" brewery next year (where I'll be learning from him as his assitant/dogsbody/cleaner/et al afte).

And these guys, also from Australia: https://www.instagram.com/boneheadbrewingau/

Two mates, home brewing seperately for a few years, decided over beers one night to get a little more serious and start a small scale brewery, 18 months after their first "professional" brew they're one of the best in Australia with some really great beers!

Would love to hear of other similar stories, I'm sure it can inspire many!

Last edited:
Oops, wanted to post this in the general discussion forum, how do I delete/move?

I think I read there's something like 2000 craft breweries opening every year in the US right now.

I paid some dude 40 bucks on Fiverr to make a logo for me and I know a bit of web design as a hobby so I built a basic website that links to UNTAPPD and social media accounts that I've reserved using my "business" name but I'm totally new at this and I just like the idea of branding my Homebrew.

I may pursue a trademark just for good measure but I'm not sure that's a market I could or would want to get into. As much as I'd like to believe that there's a cultural shift going on to support local businesses and drink good beer, I feel like that bubble has to burst at some point. I'm not a business major, I'm a soldier though so what do I know. Congrats to anyone brave enough to take that risk.

I find that turning things I enjoy into work makes me enjoy them less so I'll probably remain a hobbyist even if I had the ability to take that kind of financial risk.

I hope you and your friends have a successful and rewarding experience.

Beginner but may want to go pro. Love the enthusiasm. 1st breweries hire Head Brewers that have Bachelors in Brewing Science. 2nd make some beer 1st and compare with your favorite. Get educated on off flavors, yeast control, and water chemistry to start. Read threads on the harsh reality of going pro. Make sure you got min of $1 million to start because you won't make money right away. Create a venue that's different then the 25 breweries that are within 10 miles of you. Let me think some more....

For the record I've not tried but know people that are or have tried. I've read some stories. I don't want to ruin a great hobby! [emoji6]

A craft beer consolidation will happen and below average/some average beers will die out. Why do you think Sam Adams bought Dog Fish Head? Keep innovating. People will get bored with average beers. This is why venue becomes important. Look long term not short.

Last edited:
It seems like a tap room or brew pub is a big step involved. If someone could combine this with an axe throwing bar, that'd be cool. That's another up and coming concept I see right now. I feel like a first aid kit and a helluva insurance policy would be necessary if you start combining alcohol and sharp projectiles though.

It seems like a tap room or brew pub is a big step involved. If someone could combine this with an axe throwing bar, that'd be cool. That's another up and coming concept I see right now. I feel like a first aid kit and a helluva insurance policy would be necessary if you start combining alcohol and sharp projectiles though.
Yeah..that won't fly very long....no pun intended. Are you trying to ellimate women from your demographic? Pinthouse pizza rocks here in Austin becuase of their food, different styles of beer. They have wine and cider guest taps. Nice place to chill. Games for kids. They're killing it. Gimmicks are just that short term.

Met the owner of the Archives in Burlington, VT (my favorite beer bar). He is an Australian ex-pat and he said he never would have been able to open a bar in Australia due to expenses laws etc. But he is killing it stateside and is the nicest dude ever.

It struck me as telling that we consider the US to be a very hard place to open a bar/taproom due to $$$ and regulation but seems other countries have it even worse.

If you're just looking for canning line distribution get to know distributors now. Breweries around here have long term contracts even if their beer is mediocre. Deep pockets if only doing canning.

Yeah..that won't fly very long....no pun intended. Are you trying to ellimate women from your demographic? Pinthouse pizza rocks here in Austin becuase of their food, different styles of beer. They have wine and cider guest taps. Nice place to chill. Games for kids. They're killing it. Gimmicks are just that short term.

Don't want to get too off topic but I've seen a mobile version of the axe throwing concept that sets up at guest locations including a few bars. Women and children seem to enjoy it as well. Just gotta get stalls / Lanes setup so nothing flies when a member of your party is down range and there's no danger of getting hit by your neighbor. Just need to a little guidance on form from a pro but it's not that hard from a set / known distance to get the right number of rotations on the axe to stick the target. Just worry about cuts from handling and people getting too intoxicated and goofing off.

What could go wrong?? [emoji16]

Screenshot_2019-06-14-14-04-36.jpeg

I love corn hole, and it's not a huge thing in Australia so something I would love to have in a future taproom if there is space!

Met the owner of the Archives in Burlington, VT (my favorite beer bar). He is an Australian ex-pat and he said he never would have been able to open a bar in Australia due to expenses laws etc. But he is killing it stateside and is the nicest dude ever.

It struck me as telling that we consider the US to be a very hard place to open a bar/taproom due to $$$ and regulation but seems other countries have it even worse.
The laws & legalities around having any place that sells alcohol in Australia is beyond a joke! The one places it's slightly better in in Melbourne, and hence why it's the craft beer capital of Australia.

Latest posts

Back