Sodium Metabisulphite for sanitizing (beer brewing)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kokonutz

Reaction score
Hi all...waiting on my Star San delivery. However, my window to brew (aka free time for "dad") is days before that Star San arrival. I was given a bag of Sodium Metabisulphite by a local brewer wine maker down the road. A few questions in my head begin
  • any brewers out there try this stuff?
  • Is this a suitable sanitizer for brewing beer ? Maybe it doesn't matter but the sodium and sulfite parts make me wonder
  • Do I need to rinse? I've read mixed reviews (do vs don't) and don't like the idea of any chance of introducing unwanted microbes, etc
I did read around and I did a big ol search on the forums, but mostly found info on Campden tablets (which is effectively the same thing i think?)

Thanks all

It can be used as a no-rinse sanitizer but it should be mixed with an acid for best efficacy. I suggest 1 Tbsp of metabisulfite and 1 Tbsp of citric acid per gallon.
If you don't have acid, something like 3 Tbsp of the metabisulfite per gallon should work, especially if you use RO or distilled water.

Warnings:
The vapor is dangerous to asthmatics.
It has a limited shelf life if exposured to air, maybe 1-2 days at the most.
Do not store it in a container with any metal because it is potentially corrosive.

Thanks @RPh_Guy - what is RO?
I forgot to ask, I've read that it can ruin the flavors of the beer. I don't plan to use the mbs for bottling only for brew day (will have the star san by then).

Maybe I am overthinking the whole thing.

You can also use boiling water to sanitize equipment, which is probably what I would do if I didn't have any Star San or iodophor available.

Not a great idea if trying to sanitize a glass fermenter or plastic!

I've read that it can ruin the flavors of the beer.
Hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg aroma) is definitely a risk if too much of the sanitizer gets in your wort or beer. However it is short-lived in beer if you use high oxygen processes.

Back