Soda Keg priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hurls11

Reaction score
1.)First time kegging with a soda keg. After sanitizing, I am going to rack my beer directly into the soda keg without any corn sugar, put lid on and connect both CO2 hose and liquid hose to soda keg. i have read to charge at 8PSI and another says to charge at 30PSI and leave it hooked up til I use it. I want to use on Memorial Day in 2 weeks. IS THIS CORRECT??????

2.)I bought a kegorator that had a standard keg hookup. I want to hook up a soda keg. I was able to change the CO2 line without any problem. The liquid line goes up the tower and attaches to the tap and I am unable to figure out how to unscrew the tap off the tower to access this line to switch it out. There is a ring with several holes. I am assuming this can be disconnected but I dont want to force it and break it. Any ideas??????

Make sure you vent the keg head space, then crank the pressure to about 30psi to seat the lid, check for leaks. Then I'd go ahead and put it in the fridge with 30psi on it, and then in 7 days I'd lower it down to serving pressure. It should be carb then in another 7 days.

As far as your other issue, I'm not sure. Maybe some pics, and someone else may have some insight.

No, on the 30 PSI for 7 days!

Yes on the 30 PSI to seat the lid, then do some reading on how folks "blast carb", but most prefer the "set and forget" method .

Don't rush it on your first keg, you'll be all discouraged when it's over carbed, and will be back on here asking"Why are my pours so foamy?"

Patience, Grasshopper..........;)

There is a lot of info on force carb on the web. Myself, I lay my chilled keg on it's side, Gas port up. I hook my gas and set at about 20 psi. I rock the keg back and forth, sloshing it around every time I walk by. I have fair carbination after a day.

Saw a UTube video that said 30PSI for 24hrs, 20PSI for 24hrs and 7PSI to serve. Does venting the head space mean to pull up on the pressure relief valve before hooking up the CO2?

Does anyone know how to remove my tap from my tower without breaking it so I can switch the liquid line with a soda keg connector. It came with a standard keg connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Saw a UTube video that said 30PSI for 24hrs, 20PSI for 24hrs and 7PSI to serve. Does venting the head space mean to pull up on the pressure relief valve before hooking up the CO2?

Does anyone know how to remove my tap from my tower without breaking it so I can switch the liquid line with a soda keg connector. It came with a standard keg connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You'll find as many methods to carbing as you will to brewing. I'm a set and forget guy. I'll set to the pressure I want (for the volumes I want) and leave it alone. If I get bored I'll rock it as described above, but at the pressure I want.

Yes, venting means pulling up on the relief while the gas is attached. It will just purge the headspace with CO2. The intent is to get rid of any oxygen that's left in the keg.

I think we need more info on the tap question, like what is your current setup.

First off, you will want to learn how to "balance your lines". Not going to do all the work for you, search it, you will find it. As with anything, there are a few viewpoints. Research them and make your own decision. Next up, how fast to carb it. It may be safe to assume that a major part of your decision to keg is because you can carb it faster in the keg than waiting a week or two in a bottle. Given that, you will also find myriad ways to force carb. Search this, research the reasoning behind the methods and make up your own mind/experiment. Having said that, your options generally range between 15 min and 2 weeks to carb in the keg. At a few weeks, you can dial in the proper (considering line balancing) serving pressure and wait, or you can crank that b*tch up and shake the bejesus out of it all th while risking an overcarb (back to square one, you just bought yourself more waiting time). You will find many in betweens. What I have found to be a good balance is (again, assuming you have researched how to balance your lines properly) 30psi for 48 hours in the fridge (will carb enough to drink a pint and get a feel for how it has turned out) then pull the keg, lay it across your lap and rock slowly for 5 minutes. Turn it down to your calculated serving pressure and you are pretty damn close. Close enough to draw another few pints that night and be satisfied. Over the next 24 hourse it will get closer to your perfect goal carb and by 48, it will be spot on. I like this because it lets the impatient person in me get a taste that is fairly carbed, fairly soon after kegging with little risk of over carb and by 48 hours after that it is perfect. A good blend of impatience and perfection. YRMV.

Back