Soda can tapping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bleme

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So my 9 year old was explaining to me and my mom about how she can open a can of soda now without spraying soda everywhere (LOL!): "I just tap it on top 5 times like this, and pull the tab carefully until it stops hissing. If it starts bubbling out the opening, let go for a second and try again".

It occurred to me that is pretty much how I was taught but I can't think of any scientific reason for the tapping. Does that actually do anything or just one of those things everyone does so it keeps being done?

I've always tapped hard twice before opening any beverage in a can, carbonated or not.
It's pretty much an unconscious, force-of-habit thing at this point, whether it actually cuts down the spray or not (though I think it does)...

Cheers!

Tapping the top does nothing. Flicking the sides of the can releases bubbles adhering to the sides and directs them to the top of the can. The reason you get a gusher, much like with homebrew, is that nucleation points are created by bubbles rushing to the top quickly. If you can get them to the top before releasing the pressure, there’s no gush.

I can shake a can and give a few hard flicks to the side with the can upright, and voila, no gush. However, I’ve had mixed success with soda for some reason. Works with beer pretty well.

The reason you get a gusher, much like with homebrew, is that nucleation points are created by bubbles rushing to the top quickly. If you can get them to the top before releasing the pressure, there’s no gush.

I recall seeing a party trick where a bottle of Champagne is shaken, and shaken, and shaken and... well shaken a whole lot. Then opened with (gasp!) no drama whatsoever. Pfoop. No fizz, just an open bottle. The key is to get ALL of the CO2 into the headspace, so there are no bubbles left in the liquid to generate a nucleated cascade.

Back