Social acceptance - Bringing your children to a brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrdinaryAvgGuy

Reaction score
I'll start off by saying that I don't have any children so perhaps this why I don't understand.

I frequent several local breweries and have noticed a mixed reaction when parents bring their children along. Most simply ignore the fact while others give strange looks or even whisper to one another.

Both parents being sloppy drunk is one thing but is it "socially acceptable" for each to have a pint or two? If so, are there certain days/hours where this becomes socially unacceptable? For instance after 10 PM on a Friday night.

I've visited a lot of breweries, wineries, and distilleries with a young child and never seen any negative reactions. Some places ask you not to bring kids on the tour, which is understandable. Some places, the tasting room is more like a bar and they don't allow children, which is also fine.

I also have brought my kids to check out a new brewery or two. I just go earlier in the day when they open. I have had good reactions. I went to one where the staff offered to "entertain" them for us so we could try product.

I assume if you show up to the brewpub at 10pm on a Sat night is will be a different story...............

I've brought my kids to breweries and sometimes bars before. Usually it's not very late and we're having a meal. I don't see a problem with my kids seeing there isn't a problem with having something to eat and a drink at a bar or brewery. My kids know I'm a homebrewer and have an affinity for craft beer. Last time my young one (14) was at a brewery was when her flute instructor neglected to tell us the lesson was off after we'd driven over 45 minutes to her town. I chose to turn that little disappointment into a positive and spent the hext hour at a brewery while we had a drink (She had soda) and told jokes and played music trivia and stuff like that.

Frankly, they couldn't care less about going to bars or breweries. It's just like another restaurant for them. Neither of them have any inclination to sample alcohol. (older one is 19)

I assume you never go over the speed limit while driving with your kids in the car, either?

I take my kids to the local pub from time to time, usually on a Sunday afternoon. I don't get trashed. They are going to be exposed to beer/alcohol at some point. I'd rather it be with me, done in a responsible manner rather than when they are in their teens and they have been living under a rock.

I find it interesting to see the responses based on geographical area. Here in SoCal breweries tend to be popular restaurants as well. No one would notice if you brought your children.

I find it interesting to see the responses based on geographical area. Here in SoCal breweries tend to be popular restaurants as well. No one would notice if you brought your children.

So is it more acceptable if the establishment also serves food instead of alcohol exclusively?

So is it more acceptable if the establishment also serves food instead of alcohol exclusively?

I think so. It also depends on what you mean by "brewery". All of the brew pub type places I can think of around here serve food - Steelhead, BJ's, Carl Strauss, The Newport Beach Brewing Company, etc. OTOH I don't know if you'd want to take children into the tasting room of an actual brewery, like Firestone Walker.

I see this fairly often at the local breweries, but it seems to be spilling over to actual bars. I think it's inappropriate for actual bars always, and brewpubs after dark.

That's just me though. I'm fine with others doing as they wish as long as their kids are well behaved. Same goes for dogs.

Our local craft beer bar recently told my wife and I that we couldn't bring our son any more (he's almost 2). Apparently their liquor license only allows 21 and over (since almost all of their revenue comes from booze). The funny thing is we've brought him 5+ times in the past without an issue. We even set his car seat on the bar for him to sleep when he was very young.

PS - This is a very quiet, laid back place (aside from Friday/Saturday nights and I would never bring him on one of those nights).

trust me... everyone hates you bringing your kids anywhere

they're just too polite to tell you leave the annoying brats at home

Not everyone has brats. ;) my kids are more well behaved than many
adults. They sit quietly , speak softly and mind their manners.

However id agree with you that there are certain places I would not bring my kids (upscale/quiet restaurant) where people are paying for the ambiance. A brewery doesn't fit that description, so they can come.

and to hell with the laws of your Commonwealth that say
A person under the age of 21 may be arrested, charged, and convicted of underage drinking through constructive possession, even if they had not consumed any alcohol, simply by being in the presence of alcohol.

because your kids are allowed any where you want

Funny story: I had friends in town and took them to a local brewery around lunch with my infant son and SWMBO in tow.

They were enjoying a beer on the patio when we returned from walking around and the waiter demanded an ID from my old lady (which she had left in the car as we weren't drinking). He told us we had to leave or get it, but couldn't answer why my infant son didn't need an ID!?

Hmm... Interesting thought just now. My oldest daughter is 19, but still has not gotten her drivers license. It's never been a priority for her, and with her living on campus where they have free (well, included in tuition) bussing, she has gotten around just fine down there without it.

BUT! I really need to pressure her to get her license so I can have her drive me home after a nice brewery tour! Not that's get really smashed, but it would be a good lesson for her in being responsible by getting a DD after a couple of beers...

Yeah, it's a lesson for her!

Our local craft beer bar recently told my wife and I that we couldn't bring our son any more (he's almost 2). Apparently their liquor license only allows 21 and over (since almost all of their revenue comes from booze). The funny thing is we've brought him 5+ times in the past without an issue. We even set his car seat on the bar for him to sleep when he was very young.

PS - This is a very quiet, laid back place (aside from Friday/Saturday nights and I would never bring him on one of those nights).

Interesting. So in addition to unwritten social rules, one has to determine whether an establishment possesses a liquor only license or restaurant license.

and to hell with the laws of your Commonwealth that say

because your kids are allowed any where you want

Are you quoting PA law? If so, you forgot an important part of that law ( or how it's enforced here. ;)

This is mainly exercised when officials break up large parties or other events where alcohol is being consumed and the issuance of chemical tests to every individual is deemed impractical.

That's one of those honest answers people are hesitant to give once the bandwagon gets rolling.

I've picked up a family vibe at brewery tours. Brewery tours. Not bars. But do check ahead.

A brew pub? That's pretty much a restaurant that sells beer. Lots and lots of restaurants sell beer. Some have bars in them. The mere presence of alcohol does not disallow children.

Children at an adult venue is another issue. If there's an age posted on the door, abide by it.

So far, the parents in this thread seem sensible. Get a feel for it. If it doesn't feel like a kid friendly place, it probably isn't. I don't have kids, and I accept that I may be a little less tolerant of them than parents, but I don't hate them. I realize kids ain't cats you can leave at home all day.

My dad owned a bar when I was little. I was not allowed in the bar after about 3 pm. That is when local factory's changed shifts. However during the summers, I spent a lot of time with him, in and out of the bar taking care of business. I used to love getting to go the the Budweiser distributor, because they would let me ride around on a forklift with them in the cooler, while we picked up a pallet of beer, It was great during the summer heat.

Pretty much all the breweries around here are kid friendly. One even has rootbeer on tap. :)

There are quite a few family friendly "bars" and brewpubs too. My 4yr old has gone to more than I can count. There is a big difference between a place where you grab some food and a drink or 2 vs a place where people are getting sloppy.

Kids in breweries? No problemo if they're well-behaved. I've been to many breweries and brewpubs where children were allowed and it never seemed to be a problem for anybody.

If they are old enough to appreciate it, a brewery tour can be a fascinating learning experience, especially if the kids are interested in science. However, many breweries have an age restriction for tours, due to liability concerns.

If it is the sort of place adults are going to relax, have a conversation and want to chill out, I think that is the atmosphere that should be maintained.
There should not be anyone there acting like children. If the children act like adults, no problem let em stay. Likewise, if there are adults that act like children..... I would just as soon they left as well.
I think it is more about behavior than age.

Kids at a brewpub, pub, or a restaurant that serves booze? As long as the kids behave & it's during generally accepted hours for kids of that age to be there & the place isn't too wild, why not?

I think it's pretty much plain old common sense really. After dark on a weekend, the pub is for adults of legal drinking age & over, NOT for children. But lunch at the pub on a Saturday afternoon is fine; dinner on a week day evening is fine too I think, as long as it's not too wild an environment. I wouldn't want my 10 year old niece to be exposed to the goings on at a place where a wet Tshirt contest was being held, but I'm OK with her going behind the bar & learning how to mix a Shirley Temple with the barmaid on a Saturday afternoon & she has done so with my & her father's permission, same for my nephew.

As for the brewery tour? I'm fine with it as long as the kids are well behaved. They might actually enjoy it & learn something along the way. As far as parents having a pint or 2? Sure, why not? As long as they're not getting smashed or driving drunk, who cares?
Just my 2 cents worth.
Regards, GF.

I've taken both of my boys to one brewery (I'm friends with the owner so maybe that doesn't count) and several brewpubs. All of the brewpubs had high chairs and booster seats. Never had an issue. I used to wonder why people had to bring their annoying kids to a place where I'm trying to chill and have a few beers, now my opinion has changed cause it suits my situation :)

I see three distinct establishments discussed here. 1) Brewery/brewery tour, 2) Brew pub and 3) Bar.

1) The brewery tours that I have attended have been kid friendly. The brewery's that have outdoor areas encourage bringing blankets and a picnic basket. One even has a play area. Local laws (Georgia) limit samples to eight 4 oz samples or two 16 oz samples. The tours/tastings are generally only two hours so no one really has time or volume to get out of hand.

2) Brew pubs are just another name for restaurant/bar with a better offering at the taps. Just like Applebee's or TGI Fridays, kids are ok at the table but not at the bar.

3) A bar (shot and a beer/beer garden) should be off limits to kids at most operating hours. My dad was a bartender at a local haunt and I too accompanied him at opening. I was permitted at the bar only if there were no patrons, as soon as someone would come in I sat a a table with chips and a soda and my dad would call my mother to come pick me up.

I agree with most comments on here. I have a 2yr old and wouldn't think twice about NOT taking him on a brewery tour. He'd be by my side the entire time, holding hands, or I'd be carrying him. Of course you can't always predict the best behavior from your child (all kids will act up now and again) but if his behavior did turn bad, either my wife or I would step outside with him immediately. I won't sit here and say my son is ALWAYS good, quite, well behaved. He's 2! 2 year olds are going to act up, but it's up to the parents to remove him/her from the situation.

As for brew pubs or any restaurant in general, I have no problem taking him out. It's usually for lunch or an early dinner, never late night, but same rules apply. We try to keep him behaved and quite. If he acts up, one of us takes him outside immediately. If it continues, we leave. I won't be the ahole who completely ignores their annoying PITA kid who's bothering all the other patrons.

I would never take my son to a bar, meaning strictly a bar. A bar with tables that sells food, sure.

The way our whole country treats children and alcohol is a problem, IMO. It's so taboo. Teach your kids about alcohol and responsibility early and hope it sticks. Hiding it from them isn't the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The way our whole country treats children and alcohol is a problem, IMO. It's so taboo. Teach your kids about alcohol and responsibility early and hope it sticks. Hiding it from them isn't the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I agree with this completely. We have always been open about alcohol consumption in our house. Our kids got to taste dad's beer and moms wine. When they came of age my daughter, in college at bars with her friends, would order drinks with half shots while her friends who had absolutely no exposure to alcohol would be in the restroom getting sick. And my son will have a drink with a meal but if he's having more than one it's either in the back yard or he's staying the night where he's drinking. The friends of theirs that have been sheltered have gotten in more than their share of alcohol related trouble, DUI, binge drinking, arrests for under age consumption. There is no perfect way to raise children but in my experience responsible exposure was more successful than sheltering that leads to excessive curiosity.

When I last lived in CA in 2009, I know kids could not sit at bars in restaurants or anywhere else. I don't know if that changed. I see kids at bars all of the time now and I generally just look and mind my own business. I'm not out to parent someone else's kid. I'll step in if the kid is being harmed, but that is about it.

This!!!

I'm sure most people's children are polite, well behaved, and can be respectful enough in a group of people in a crowded space while the adults are having a few beers. It's the small percentage that fail completely as parents and don't have the common courtesy to leave or better yet, not partake in, the tour that ruin for everyone.

This!!!

I'm sure most people's children are polite, well behaved, and can be respectful enough in a group of people in a crowded space while the adults are having a few beers. It's the small percentage that fail completely as parents and don't have the common courtesy to leave or better yet, not partake in, the tour that ruin for everyone.

First off, no one will tell me where I can and can't bring my son. That's my call not yours.

Second, I'll deal with my son if he acts up. Be sure of that.

Third, Don't make blanket statements like "everyone hates you bringing your kids anywhere". It shows your ignorance.

EDIT: Sorry for quoting under your post. Should have quoted under the post you quoted.

I don't have kids, nor have I seen any at a brewery tour. Personally, I don't think I would mind. Not that a child should be allowed to drink, but I am of the mindset that at 18 you are allowed to smoke and join the military. Seems a little strange to me to arbitrarily have the drinking age at 21.

That being said, as long as the parent isn't sitting there getting trashed I don't see an issue. I also am a proponent of minding my own business.

I make my 1.5 yr old try everything I drink first to make sure its not poisoned.

Seriously though kids should be in bars but those other options are fine.

Little kids shouldn't be out past 7-8 either they should be in bed... I get there are times when work schedules etc whatever happen. But few things frustrate me more than parents trying to stay young and hang out at the brew pub till 10-11 with their kid trying to nap in a car seat. Same goes for late movies... Your childs sleep schedule is more important than your entertainment.

Back