So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plugging along here. Juicy Bits mash out started...

20191126_113207.jpeg

Cheers!

Last edited:
Just mashed in on my imperial Mexican chocolate milk stout. Undershot by a whopping 5° and only hit 147°. Oops...

Thank you for the kind words :mug:

If you love Julius you'd love Juicy Bits. Though the grain bills are modestly different they share two of three hops used and are brewed virtually identically (makes it that much easier for me :D)

Cheers!

I love juicy bits! Where did you get the recipe. I like your setup btw, always looks clean, well stocked, and carefully planned.
Thank you for the kind words :mug:

If you love Julius you'd love Juicy Bits. Though the grain bills are modestly different they share two of three hops used and are brewed virtually identically (makes it that much easier for me :D)

Cheers!

Thank you as well :mug:
That's all my engineering OCD - my dad's chromosomes no doubt.

Anyway, we're fortunate that the Weldwerks folks pretty much put out a class on this particular beer.
https://beerandbrewing.com/weldwerks-brewing-co-juicy-bits-new-england-style-ipa/

I did make a base malt change to 50/50 Golden Promise and Weyermann pilsner, dropped the dextrin malt, and upped the voltage to a 1.075 OG. I end up with a bigger, paler beer (by a couple SRM points) that's a bit lighter on the palette if not on paper...

Cheers!

Its raining here so the outside Christmas decorations have to wait. As I sit grumbling over coffee about not going outside. My wife asks if I could brew instead!! Either she doesn't want me around or she likes my beer.

I will be making Juicy Bits with all GP since I just picked up a sack on Monday.

Happy Brewing

Transferred 3 to secondaries: Intl Pale Lager, Intl Amber Lager and Helles Bock
Brewed/brewing (3rd one almost complete): Pre-prohibition lager, Intl Dark Lager and American Lager

Immediate disclosure, I didn't have my hydrometer today, so no numbers, but very repeatable techniques and ingredients to measure next time. Front to back, left to right: Traditional mead (2 lbs honey), a simple red wine from concentrate that will be a sangria, a weak cider, followed by 2 two-week old cinnamon ciders (each with an added container of concentrate) in the middle. The dark carboy in the back is a blueberry-raspberry sack mead that's 8 months old. My last sample was dry, and belly warming. It'll get stabilized and lightly sweetened to semi sweet in the future. Only the front 3 gallons are from today.
1575152080788.jpeg

Brewing another batch of an Imperial Stout. I have brewed this twice in the past, the first time was a 2.5 gal batch, and the second was a 4 gal batch (the most my 10 gal kettle will handle for a full volume mash). This time I am going for a full 5 gal batch. 23.5 lbs of grain! With 7 gals of mash water and 1.6 gals of sparge water.

Also...crappy weather today so glad I cleaned out the garage yesterday so I did not have to brew on the back patio.

Edit: That was a long 6 hour brew day. Every step took a little longer and everything that touched the wort was black and sticky! I came in about 10 points higher than planned at 1.118! Hopefully I pitched enough Irish Ale yeast to handle this one.

20191201_094159.jpg

Last edited:
Finally getting to the 2019 Holiday Ale. 14lbs two row, 1lb crystal 60, and 3/4lbs Special Belgian, mashing now. Took the time to condition the grain this time, came out nice and fluffy so hoping for some good results. Once I get my honey-do list done (kitchen & laundry) I'll get the spice bottle ready for it; considered adding some to the boil but I don't think it made a lot of difference last year, will just up the quantities this time for what will be added about 5 days into fermentation. We're not much on hard alcohol drinking (duh) but I've got a choice between straight vodka, Jamesons, or some nice spiced rum we got in Hawaii last March; probably gonna go with the rum.

Brewed 10 gallons of a Belgian Wit. Orange peels floated out of the bag and clogged my pump... so things got a bit interesting there at the end. All good now... plan to split it and add blue berries or raspberries to one 5 gallon batch.

I am going to brew a Christmas Ale probably Thurs. It will be Scottish Export 80/- based with Golden Promise and 2-row base malts with roasted barley and Golden Naked Oats for character. I’ll be looking for the lemon, orange, pepper, and herbs from a 10 min/30-ish IBU addition of Pacific Jade hops.

I have a couple on deck - yay black Friday deals on a Scottish 80/- kit and a Schwarzbier kit.
Technically the Schwarzbier should be lagered, but I don't have the equipment for that -
going to use a pack of Imperial Dieter on it and see what happens.
Hoping one or the other gets brewed this weekend.
Also waiting on a grain mill ordered last week as well.

This weekend I hope to make a Blueberry-Honey Ale kit that I bought a couple of weeks ago.

Gonna split it in half and do half as the standard ale and convert the other half to a gose (the style which my daughter and son-in-law are recently fond of), different yeast then a pinch of salt and maybe lemon juice.

I've actually had one of these! If I remember right, the brewery used Sorachi Ace and totally nailed the dill pickle flavor!
I don't think I had any of that. My 21 yo son told me he wanted to do a pickle gose, so we did some research. Chose what looked like a good gose recipe and went from their. It was a great beer.

I brewed "3" batches over the long Thanksgiving weekend, so I did not plan to brew today...but those batches were an Imperial Stout that will not be ready for months and a pair of 1 gal single malt beers...so I brewed up my second round of trying to brew what I want in a classic American IPA. I wanted to tweak the hop bill a little (more Centennial/no Cascade, swapped Chinook for Simcoe, total hops from 6.8 oz to 8.8 oz). I also ended up swapping from WLP001 to WLP051 (cuz that is what I had).

20191207_155717.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks!
Thank you as well :mug:
That's all my engineering OCD - my dad's chromosomes no doubt.

Anyway, we're fortunate that the Weldwerks folks pretty much put out a class on this particular beer.
https://beerandbrewing.com/weldwerks-brewing-co-juicy-bits-new-england-style-ipa/

I did make a base malt change to 50/50 Golden Promise and Weyermann pilsner, dropped the dextrin malt, and upped the voltage to a 1.075 OG. I end up with a bigger, paler beer (by a couple SRM points) that's a bit lighter on the palette if not on paper...

Cheers!

I just brewed brewed my funhouse stout. First time in a couple years since I've made it, It was a recipe I always really liked.

Pipeline is getting a bit thin, since I "have to" kill a keg by tomorrow to switch out the o-rings; so will do a quick WF lager batch tomorrow that will get kegged next weekend (yes I know I'm crazy but I've done it before, beer was perfect). Got a nice packet of o-rings from allmymoneyzgone today and plan to switch out as many as I can tomorrow; big ones are fine on most of them (I have seven usable ones) but the post o-rings all need to be changed.

Back