So, what exactly IS Wy 3056....?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm planning a brew using this yeast, based on the flavor characteristics Wy describes on their site. It seems like a good compromise, my wife wants a clean wheat beer, and I prefer one with some nice banana/clove flavors going on. Wy's website says that 3056 is a blend of a clean ale strain and a wheat strain (S. Delbrueckii), and that got me wondering about specifics.... what S. delbrueckii and S. cerevisiae strains are blended?
I've been reading a lot on these forums and other places about it, saw something about it maybe being 1056 and 3068 (makes sense, the number 3056 is a combo of 1056 and 3068), something else suggesting the S. delbrueckii strain was indeed 3068. I found this post from JohnMc:
Wheat beer yeast can grow using L-lysine as their carbon and energy source, lager and ale yeast can't. Years ago, I grew 3056 on rich media (YPD) plates and picked 24 colonies from the mixed plate into some plate wells with sterile water, then replicated them onto both YPD and l-lysine assimilation media. The ones that grew on both were wheat yeast and the ones that only grew on YPD were Saccharomyces yeast. It was 50-50, IIRC.
It's all very fascinating, but what I'm really wondering is if anyone knows what specific strains are used in 3056? Thanks. :mug:

Latest posts

Back