So, the Virginia ABC has decided to be a-holes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrogNerd

mean old man
Reaction score
our local homebrew clubs have been meeting at several area breweries for years.

the owners and brewers of these establishments have gone above and beyond to show appreciation for homebrewers. one owner opens his place up on his day off so we can meet. he doesn't sell us his beer, but he'll let us have samples of anything he has coming on tap, so he can get feedback on it.

they allow us to bring our homebrew for critique and commercial brews to discuss. I don't believe I would ever have had a SA Utopia or one of those beard yeast beers if one of our members hadn't brought them to a meeting

but, now the VA ABC has decided if it wasn't made there, you can't drink it at all.

****ing regulatory bull****

sorry, had to rant

Interesting... I'm in NoVa too, and part of a homebrew club, and we haven't heard anything about this yet. We meet in a coffee shop that sells growler fills and bottles but you can't drink in the shop. We do 2 oz pours for our competitions or other beer tastings which is supposed to be legit in the eyes of the VA ABC. Are you guys drinking more than 2 oz of beer for your tastings?

Interesting... I'm in NoVa too, and part of a homebrew club, and we haven't heard anything about this yet. We meet in a coffee shop that sells growler fills and bottles but you can't drink in the shop. We do 2 oz pours for our competitions or other beer tastings which is supposed to be legit in the eyes of the VA ABC. Are you guys drinking more than 2 oz of beer for your tastings?

rule applies to breweries only

you 50 West at Brew LoCo?

rule applies to breweries only

you 50 West at Brew LoCo?

Ahh. Ok then. That makes much more sense!

Yes, the LOCAL (LOudoun Creators of Ales and Lagers) meeting at Brew Loco. Every first Monday of the month at 6:30! I'm the communications officer so PM me your email address and I'll put you on the list if you're interested in joining! What club are you currently a member of? :mug:

Ahh. Ok then. That makes much more sense!

Yes, the LOCAL (LOudoun Creators of Ales and Lagers) meeting at Brew Loco. Every first Monday of the month at 6:30! I'm the communications officer so PM me your email address and I'll put you on the list if you're interested in joining! What club are you currently a member of? :mug:

currently Wort Hogs (Mellow Mushroom, 2nd Tues of month) and NoVA Homebrew (used to meet at Old Ox, 3rd Wed of month)

currently Wort Hogs (Mellow Mushroom, 2nd Tues of month) and NoVA Homebrew (used to meet at Old Ox, 3rd Wed of month)

So no more meeting at Old Ox due to the new ABC laws?

We follow the wort hog's competition schedule and we're starting to do some of your events so we may cross paths at some point.

So no more meeting at Old Ox due to the new ABC laws?

We follow the wort hog's competition schedule and we're starting to do some of your events so we may cross paths at some point.

I'm Wort Hog's webmaster and widest member.

can't miss me.

literally.

I'll also be at Brew LoCo on the 21st of this month, BoP with Cathy & maybe Rob will be there.

that means if you follow their directive to the letter, that means if you have a competition on a brewery's property, just because they happen to be somewhere conducive to that, no one can drink the beer that's been sent for the competition, correct?

uh. what?

that means if you follow their directive to the letter, that means if you have a competition on a brewery's property, just because they happen to be somewhere conducive to that, no one can drink the beer that's been sent for the competition, correct?

uh. what?

actually will need a $55 banquet license and have to be separated from the public

so, it's basically a government money grab

The Founding Fathers didn't put the freedom to brew and/or distill in the Bill of Rights because they never would have thought any government would try to do something as tyrannical as stopping the people from making, selling and consuming a product that is a just as much as a right as breathing air. Most people don't realize just how far the government has gone in exerting control, or just don't care. OK, rant over, going to rack and sample some of this years cider that the government can't tax.

Back