So I was thinking...plate chiller as HERMs HEX

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helibrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I already use a RIMs (120V 1650W) for mash control. However, it's a little under powered for good step mashing and mash out temperature rises. So I have this Duda Diesel 30 plate chiller sitting here doing nothing until the end of the boil. Rather than re-plumb my HLT I was thinking of using the HLT water to run through the plate "warmer" and route my mash through it, then through the RIMs back to the MLT. It seems I could get pretty good steps doing this since the plate chiller is very good at cooling quickly, it's effectively 0.69 sq meters of surface area compared to 25' of 3/8" tubing which is .23 sq meters, and 5/8" copper would be .387 sq meters. My plate chiller is basically the equivalent of 25' of 1" copper tubing.

Has anyone used their plate chiller as a HERMs HEX ?

I've seen some posts on here where guys were using a counterflow chiller as the hex, but I don't think I've seen a plate chiller used for that purpose. The only concern that comes to mind are the bits of grain, etc that can be circulated through with a recirc mash system getting stuck in the crevices of the plate chiller. Maybe you could add one of those hop trub filters from Brewer's Hardware to filter out the grain bits?

I don't know, would probably just be easier/cheaper to get a bigger heating element (depending on your electrical infrastructure, that is)

Thanks guys, the clogging issue was a concern....might work for mash out since things are pretty clear by then. I'm limited to 120V so 1650 is as big as I can go in my RIMs, every bigger is HWD. I may just add a second 1650w since I do have an additional circuit I can use.

Latest posts

Back