So I took some pics during brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d3track

Are you sure about that?
Reaction score
Well, at least when I remembered to. Thought it would be fun to track through my session and let everyone tell me what I do wrong (hopefully something is right in there)

So while my wife was at work, my youngest was at a sleepover, and the oldest was still in bed (teenagers...), I had Labor Day morning to myself.

Got some coffee, and I started cold steeping some tea the night before. Got my stuff together and started cleaning the equipment.
thumb1_image-66083.jpg

thumb1_image1-66084.jpg

Scale, refractometer, hops, campden, ph strips (more on those later), whirflock, yeast
image2-66085.jpg

Am I the only crazy guy who cleans before and after brewing? I feel like this takes up a lot of time
thumb1_image3-66086.jpg

gathering water (added half campden tab to strike and sparge water
thumb1_imagf0-66093.jpg

this is going to take a while, so lets look at some of my ugly junk in the workshop!
thumb1_image4-66087.jpg

thumb1_image5-66088.jpg

thumb1_image6-66089.jpg

thumb1_image7-66090.jpg

thumb1_image8-66091.jpg

thumb1_image9-66092.jpg

get strike water going, I've got to admit, this thermometer is great! The dial thermometers seem to be way to slow and I had a harder time hitting my mash temps - I've been much better lately with this.
thumb1_imagf1-66094.jpg

mashing (can't take pics while doughing in alone..) - you'll also notice that if a man buys chalkboard paint to cover his workbench, and there's paint left in the can, and if he was having a few while painting....yup, other things like mash tuns get painted and dumb stuff scribbled on them...
thumb1_imagf2-66095.jpg

ph strips...why even effing bother...I have no idea what this means. Bru'n Water, I'm depending on you. At least this way I get in the habit of taking measurements when I finally splurge on getting a good meter
thumb1_imagf3-66096.jpg

thumb1_imagf4-66097.jpg

The coffee cup never requires washing.
The coffee maker should be washed somewhat more frequently.
The beer brewing equipment should be washed after use and rinsed before use.
The fermenting equipment and bottles/kegging should be washed after use and stored cleanly, rinsed and sanitized before use.
At least that's my take on it.

The coffee cup never requires washing.
The coffee maker should be washed somewhat more frequently.
The beer brewing equipment should be washed after use and rinsed before use.
The fermenting equipment and bottles/kegging should be washed after use and stored cleanly, rinsed and sanitized before use.
At least that's my take on it.

I always tell myself I'm just going to rinse, then I never do. Otherwise I'm pretty close to the same.

However - I dropped some PBW into the travel mugs, wow did those things sparkle! the SWMBO is now trying to think of other uses and asked how large of a container it comes in!

time to chill - you can kind of see the little pumps that have become infamous, not having to stir while chilling was one of the main reasons I got a couple of them - they work pretty well for me
thumb1_image-66103.jpg

I use the big tub of ice water and a pond pump (it's down there). in the summer I can get under 60* in about 40-45 minutes, under 70* in less than 20 minutes if there's enough ice that it doesn't all melt
thumb1_image1-66104.jpg

to pitching temps
thumb1_image2-66105.jpg

O2 -I should have taken video because this is always a question I have - I open the regulator so that O2 is just coming out, not opening it all the way. I figure if there's foam the O2 is escaping the wort. Thoughts?
thumb1_image3-66106.jpg

and into the ferm chamber - I think it was @GavinC that I saw the bungee cords, A LOT easier than tape. And yes, that is a cut up can coozie I use to insulate
thumb1_image4-66107.jpg

Thanks for reading everyone - it was fun taking pics along the way, it also got me thinking that I should take videos of areas that I question, maybe next time.

Oh yeah, and forgot to include:
It was an Oatmeal Stout
US-05 @ 67*

Latest posts

Back