So I opened a beer store (kinda)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiobrewtus

Reaction score
My dad owns a business, selling and installing pools & hot tubs. About 5 years ago when he built a new store, he found out that the developers were planning on building 250-300 units of apartments, so he got in line for a liquor license. He finally got it 3-4 year ago and had a stand up cooler filled with the typical BMC fare with some Heineken, Corona, wine coolers, Mudslides, etc... thrown into the mix as well.

As you can imagine, his business is very seasonal and he needs to set funds aside during the spring and summer to get through the slow winters.

I happened to run across an inventory list from a distributor here in Ohio and I started drooling at all of the beers that they had available and that got the wheels spinning. Good craft beers are hard to find in my town. To get anything other than Sam Adams, Great Lakes, Thirsty Dog and the occasional offering from Avery I would have to stop somewhere while I was in Columbus (about a 40 minute drive). The license was already there, and the store could use something to drive up sales during the winter, so I pitched the idea to my dad and he was all for it.

We started out with 64 beers and have worked our way up to over 75 beers in stock with requests for more beers coming in on a regular basis. I tried to stay away from anything that can be found elsewhere locally, and I'm hoping to really focus in on the hard to find beers (DFH Bitches Brew, DFH Sah'Tea, DFH Theobroma and Founders Nemesis will hopefully be in stock soon).

I say that it's 'kinda' a beer store because yes, there's good beer, but it's not a stand alone place. It's in the corner of a pool and hot tub store (thus the name Beer Corner).

Anyway, it is not my intention to get free advertising here (since there probably aren't too many folks local to me on here), I just thought I'd share some of my excitement and some pictures. We opened a bit over a month ago and business has been quite good considering the limited advertising that we've done.

If anyone is interested in additional information, please PM me.

Beerstore7-13-10003.jpg

Beerstore7-13-10004.jpg

Beerstore7-13-10005.jpg

Beerstore7-13-10006.jpg

Are you doing any kind of advertising to let people know that the hardware store now sells beer? How have sales been so far?

The local paper came out and did a feature on the store. We're currently working on an advertising plan, but sales so far have been good based solely upon the write up in the paper and word of mouth.

Wow- I love the look! It's "clean" and organized. I really like the selection of "singles" you have- such a great way for people to try new beers.

I knew this was in the works, so I'm glad to see it become a reality!

"Duuuude, let's run over to the pool supply shop fer some beerz"

"Wha maaan, you got it all wrong dude. You run to the beer store for the pool "supplies" "

:confused:

Looks good. Best of luck.

Sounds fun. How's business now? Has it helped with the sales of the other non-beer items?

It's steady. Not earth shattering, but we've only been open for 5 weeks. Sales have exceeded my expectations so far.

"Duuuude, let's run over to the pool supply shop fer some beerz"

"Wha maaan, you got it all wrong dude. You run to the beer store for the pool "supplies" "

:confused:

Looks good. Best of luck.

Ya, I know... it's a bit odd selling beer out of a pool store, but with the license already there and room in the building, it made sense.

Great idea!! And lets' face it, pools and spa are not exactly unconnected to good beer! :)

Good luck with this. It deserves to work! :)

Ya, I know... it's a bit odd selling beer out of a pool store, but with the license already there and room in the building, it made sense.

No. I think it's brilliant.

Move all the products having "holders" closer to the beer and you might even get some impulse buys out of it.

Kind of reminds me of this art-supply store we came across in New Hampshire. We were standing on the street, just kind of window-browsing, when we noticed this huge wall FILLED with every type and brand of hot sauce that's ever been known to man. No indication on the outside of the store that it was anything more than a place to buy paint and frames and canvases. But, the owner was a hot sauce aficionado, and dedicated probably one-third of his store to selling sauce.

Kind of reminds me of this art-supply store we came across in New Hampshire. We were standing on the street, just kind of window-browsing, when we noticed this huge wall FILLED with every type and brand of hot sauce that's ever been known to man. No indication on the outside of the store that it was anything more than a place to buy paint and frames and canvases. But, the owner was a hot sauce aficionado, and dedicated probably one-third of his store to selling sauce.

Kinda reminds me of a store in Amsterdam where there were ladies modeling lingerie in the shop window. It turned out they didn't sell any bloody lingerie at all!! I had a good look around, and I couldn't even find out what they DID sell! :(

Kinda reminds me of a store in Amsterdam where there were ladies modeling lingerie in the shop window. It turned out they didn't sell any bloody lingerie at all!! I had a good look around, and I couldn't even find out what they DID sell! :(

You like your lingerie to be bloody? Got a menstrual fetish or something going on?

Can't say I'm all that surprised....

Niiiiiiiiiiice Selection!!!!!!!!!

So how are your prices?

Thanks, I think that the prices are reasonable. They're right on par with what I would always pay for similar beers at some of the beer shops in Columbus.

There's not a lot of margin in beer though. I'm not sure about other states, but here in OH retailers have a state minimum that's 25% above wholesale. No one can sell for less than that - it helps to level out the playing field a bit.

Everything we sell in 12oz bottles is also available in singles for mixer 6'ers. Most singles are $1.99 each, and they go up from $2.49 with a couple that are $2.99 and $3.49.

The question we all want to know.....

You doing mail order?

Nope. I've thought about this but I really don't even know what's involved. I'll have to contact the Ohio Department of Liquor Control and see what my options are.

I suppose I could always just buy the beer myself and do 'personal swaps', but that could get to be a PITA after a while.

Everything we sell in 12oz bottles is also available in singles for mixer 6'ers. Most singles are $1.99 each, and they go up from $2.49 with a couple that are $2.99 and $3.49.

Oh that's awesome!!!!! To me that si the best part of a good quality beer store. Being able to mix and match (or break 6 packs.) It's a great way to broaden our horizons.

That's a great idea! I agree with Revvy about the mixed 6-packs. I wish I had a beer store around me that did that! Good luck with the venture!

A hot tub is pretty useless without beer so this makes perfect sense.

Actually, bourbon slushes are far better in a hot tub. But it must be outside and in the middle of a good cold winter.

Oh, and the beer store rocks.

You REALLY couldn't figure out what they were selling? Go slap yourself upside the head.....

So many good Michigan beers. Makes me homesick :(

Congrats on your store though, that's awesome.

Back