So I added gelatin to my secondary...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soldevi

Reaction score
It was pretty cloudy, it looked like orange juice. It was in primary for 10 days and I racked to secondary and added gelatin and put it in my shed outside at about 48 degrees.

Sat there for about a week and cleared up quite a bit but there was only what looked like yeast on the bottom of the carboy. Was I supposed to have gel on the bottom? I put 1 1/2 teaspoons per Biermunchers directions. 2 gallons.

I've since bottled it.

I used gelatin for the first time in my latest beer. I didn't notice any "gel" at the bottom of the fermenter, it's probably such a small amount it isn't really noticeable that way. Perhaps someone who uses gelatin more regularly might comment.

What you have on the bottom is the normal trub. Yeast and other sentiment that settles to the bottom.

So the beer was in the primary for 10 days, secondary for another 7, then you bottled?

What type of beer was it?

When I use gelatin I crash the beer down to 34 for a week or two to let all the sediment gather on the bottom. I have found the gelatin is more effective the colder the beer gets. It develops a nice jelly on the bottom that you can then rack the beer off of. Some I know who use it will use it in a brite tank or keg at carbonating temps.

That's just the Gelatin turning to jello so to speak. What I do is only heat the gelatin in the microwave in a glass for about 30 seconds. You don't want it to hot just enough for everything to dissolve, let it cool a little, then add to carboy and add your beer on top of that. I let it sit in the cold for about 5 days and it's very clear. Also the amount you are using for 2 gallons, I don't even use that much for 5 gallons. It doesn't take that much as it is very effective, plus you get more out out the box considering the cost of gelatin. I pay $8 a box here. :)

This was Edworts Haus Ale. It worked, cleared up very well. Im gonna let it condition in the bottle now for a couple weeks. Thanks for the replies. :)

Back