Snowy drew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirkwooder

Emperor of all things nobody cares about
Reaction score
I haven't brewed in months. Mostly because my lhbs is 60 miles away one way and I don't often get there. My pipe line is so low, and I wanted to brew so badly that I ordered 3 kits from NB ( got a free big mouth for ordering 3), and planned a double brew day for today. Weather man says we are in the 24"-36" snow fall zone for the next 48 hours. I have My first batch boiling away and the snow has just started to fall. 16*F as I type this. I'm heating the strike water for the second on burner #2.

Anyone else brewing out in the snow?

:goat::tank::cask:

I haven't brewed in months. Mostly because my lhbs is 60 miles away one way and I don't often get there. My pipe line is so low, and I wanted to brew so badly that I ordered 3 kits from NB ( got a free big mouth for ordering 3), and planned a double brew day for today. Weather man says we are in the 24"-36" snow fall zone for the next 48 hours. I have My first batch boiling away and the snow has just started to fall. 16*F as I type this. I'm heating the strike water for the second on burner #2.

Anyone else brewing out in the snow?

:goat::tank::cask:

I too am awaiting the snow. Not brewing because I’ll be too busy trying to keep up with the driveway and walk ways but I did get keg both my recent HB’s on Tuesday so I’ll be “sipping pretty” lol

Right now it's 7*F here, the wind is howling, and better than a foot of fresh snow is on the ground. There is about 9#s of spent grain frozen solid in my cooler mash tun. I'll need to bring that in and thaw it just to take it back out to the chickens.

Been there, did that, picks to prove it. Not as bad as you are expected to get.
12 degrees and 6 inches on the ground by the end of the boil! winter brewing .jpg

Harper. Cold yes. Snow totals not so impressive. I remember one year in RI when we got a few 1-3 inch snows and 2 that were over 17" All or almost nothing that year. Worse than the snow with this storm is the places where they got ice....

Harper got me good. We got close to 20 inches and now getting 40 MPH wind gusts with windchills of -20 F

Weather Channel, earlier, said Albany got about 13" Small areas with over 12 inches.. A big storm in my mind is wide areas with more than 15 inches.. This one was not good, but IMO, not a really big one.... I lived through a lot of them in my time. One was 17 inches in April.

Weather Channel, earlier, said Albany got about 13" Small areas with over 12 inches.. A big storm in my mind is wide areas with more than 15 inches.. This one was not good, but IMO, not a really big one.... I lived through a lot of them in my time. One was 17 inches in April.
I’m not technically Albany. It’s just the closest major population area near me. Don’t get me wrong. Not the worse storm I’ve lived through, but withe the wind and the change over last night to freezing rain makes it miserable

I’m not technically Albany. It’s just the closest major population area near me. Don’t get me wrong. Not the worse storm I’ve lived through, but withe the wind and the change over last night to freezing rain makes it miserable

Oh, certainly no doubt miserable.... Sometimes miserable is worse than the actual precipitation.

I love brewing in the snow. I always put my spent grain out on the snow for the lazy hungry birds and squirrels. This past round of snow I had a fresh keg of IPA to tap. It made the several rounds of shoveling much better! I think we're do for a little more on Friday. Maybe I'll get a brew in.

I've brewed (sort of) in the snow. I brew in my garage, so I wasn't truly in the snow, but since I use propane, I have the door open.

One batch, we got about 8" and it was about 5 degrees out. I had a problem chilling the beer, so I was worried my late addition and flameout hops would isomerize more than planned. I named the beer "Bitter Cold on the Frozen Tundra".

The other was a 12.5% RIS. We only got 4" that day and it was about 15 degrees out. I boiled for 3 hours. I bundled up, sat in the garage and watched a movie on my tablet while it boiled. It was a long but enjoyable brew day. That one I did completely alone, which I found I really like.

My two brews are bubbling away, one a lager, the other an IPA. My spent grain from the second brew, is still frozen solid in my cooler mash tun. I'll get it cleaned out this weekend. It's supposed to be cold again this weekend and I'm glad I won't be brewing until one of these are done fermenting/lagering. A pale ale is next followed closely by cream ale. Maybe another lager if the weather and time permit.

My two brews are bubbling away, one a lager, the other an IPA. My spent grain from the second brew, is still frozen solid in my cooler mash tun. I'll get it cleaned out this weekend. It's supposed to be cold again this weekend and I'm glad I won't be brewing until one of these are done fermenting/lagering. A pale ale is next followed closely by cream ale. Maybe another lager if the weather and time permit.
Ha. I have the same situation going on with my mash tun... Totally forgot about it last brew day now it's a frozen block. Should be fun to clean out!

Latest posts

Back