Snowed in, Meager Supplies, Need Recipe Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klr

Reaction score
The white death is coming and I'm going to be snowed in for a couple days. No chance to make it to the homebrew store, so I wonder what I can do with the limited ingredients I have.

Here's the list of what I have:

20 lbs of 2-row
4oz of light roasted barley
dry Nottingham yeast
Washed Safele-05 in the fridg
1.25 oz of Chinook
.4 oz of Willamette
.5 oz of Magnum
.6 oz German Tettnang

I also have some random stuff in the kitchen like old fashioned oatmeal and cocoa powder.

Other details:

I'm not a hop head and the Chinook is a little strong for my taste.
I'll be brewing about a 5 gallon batch.
I don't need a step by step instructions. My son has a computer program with my equipment profile and he can dial in the exact amounts/temps/times for my equipment.

So, any ideas?
Thanks.

Any stale all grain breads?

With no dark grains the chocolate is out.

Mash at a high temp for body and do the following:

9# 2-row
1 Pound quick Oats (I assume)
4 oz roasted barley

Since you have nothing if not time, roast a pound of your two row to about the color of C60 or the crust of bread at 350 in your oven, turning about every 6 minutes

Mash all this at 154 f for an hour'ish.

Add the Magnum and boil for and hour
Add the Willamette at 15 minutes to end of boil
Add the subtle German hops at flame out

This all assumes about 75% efficiency.

Call it "Snowbound" and the style is who the f@#$ cares.

That is not much for hops. Plug it into the recipe calculator. I would do one using the roasted barley. Maybe a little oatmeal for mouthfeel.
Bitter with the Chinook and Magnum and flavor/aroma with the Willamette and Tettnang.

I made a beer with 2 table spoons of crushed red peppers at 5 minutes left in the boil. It was awesome. It had a little bit of a burn to it.

Looks like some good suggestions. Just a few more details:

The oats are "thick" oats and require cooking,
My wife grinds her own wheat and makes her own bread. Right now we have week-old whole wheat Italian with poppy seeds.
I certainly don't mind roasting/toasting any ingredients,

Last time I brewed my efficiency was calculated at 83% and I did measure everything carefully and compensate for temps, etc

I'm in total agreement with the "who the f@#$ cares." style. :D

Which yeast would you guys suggest using for your recipes?

Thanks! :ban:

Looks like some good suggestions. Just a few more details:

The oats are "thick" oats and require cooking,
My wife grinds her own wheat and makes her own bread. Right now we have week-old whole wheat Italian with poppy seeds.
I certainly don't mind roasting/toasting any ingredients,

Last time I brewed my efficiency was calculated at 83% and I did measure everything carefully and compensate for temps, etc

I'm in total agreement with the "who the f@#$ cares." style. :D

Which yeast would you guys suggest using for your recipes?

Thanks!

I that case, crumble up the bread, reduce the base malt by 50% of the weight of the bread, cook the bread and oats together and toss it in to the mash.

Use the Nottingham.

Edit, actually with your efficiency, reduce the base malt 100%.

Back