Snap crackle pop electrical help needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snagg30341

Reaction score
I just moved a wall electric outlet from the side of the wall to the adjacent closet wall. Basically I pulled the walls through a 6 inch wall and mounted a new outlet box. This is all so I can hide wires on flat screen tv. Any who, when I was putting tv back on mount it made a weird plastic loud pop. Ever since then when it is plugged in it pops the cb. I thought it was my install and have checked the wires 4 times. All looks good. I plugged the tv. In a different outlet in bathroom and it blew gfci. I also plugged it in kitchen and it sparked greenish at the cord and blew gfci. A DVD player and sat received power fine I. New outlet and don't trip the cb. I'm guessing the LCD tv is gone and that's what is tripping cb. I'm going to buy receptacle tester today to triple check new outlet. Then buy new tv. You guys agree? Any ideas or insight. Thanks in advance.

I checked a couple outlets yesterday with a cheap tool. It showed that when I wiggled the plug in the outlet that the neutral and hot were getting reversed somehow. Anyhow it might pick up on some wiring problems as well.

www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/a...ologies-ground-fault-outlet-receptacle-tester

Personally I feel that sheet-rock is easier to replace than a home. Don't be afraid to tear apart a wall to see if the sheathing on a wire has been damaged by your pulling or drilling.

Thanks for the reply. I got a receptacle tester and it shows fine. Bought new tv and all works fine. I think it was old tv.

I'm guessing the tv was plugged in when you were hanging it?

If I understand your post you've narrowed it down to the tv. Maybe you pinched the cord or damaged the plug when hanging it.

If it's the kind of power cable that can be swapped out I'd do that before trashing the tv.

No it wasn't powered when hung up. I think maybe internal piece broke later causing arcing or something. In other outlet in kitchen when I plugged it in the final time it shot green spark and tripped gfci.

I'm thinking it's all good. Outlet tested fine. New tv works fine. Cb hasn't tripped since old tv gone. That seem rational?

Maybe the screws that hold the VESA mount to the tv went too deep and hit a ckt board.

I have a big plasma (60") that stopped working in November. I opened it up, bought used replacement boards off ebay, and replaced them one at a time until the problem went away. Cost me less than $100. I realize you've moved on (with your new TV), but I thought I'd mention my story so others know you can fix these things.

_mg_7481-61875.jpg

Latest posts

Back